1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of Installing an Audere pre in a 55-02

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Antman3820, May 2, 2006.

1. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Looking to upgrade or change the pre in my 55-02....I was thinking an Audere or a U-retro........Just wanted to get some thought or opinions. Thanks.......Tony

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    TalkBasser emjazz uses an Audere 4-band in an F-Bass--maybe try PM-ing him. I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to replace the F-Bass preamp (the pre in my BN-5 is the most musical I've ever heard) but it sounds like he's happy with it. The Audere site is intriguing, I'd definitely consider one of their pres in another bass.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what don't you like about your current preamp? what are you looking for different about your current one?

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm thinking of doing the same in my 44-02. Replacing the Bart 'bucker with a Nordie was a step in the right direction for me. One towards more 'organic' and away from the kinda sterile/ compressed/ refined/ whatever bart sound.

I also want a better passive option. One with a J like passive tone control. The U-Retro Deluxe maybe ?

I I could add a bit of the J bridge pup with tone rolled off mid rangy/ burpy kind of thing to the 44-02 it would be a real improvement. Preferrably I would be able to flip between passive and active with minimal volume change as well. I'm thinking that the pre itself would have an internal master trim on the output.

5. Antman3820

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    seems like you have to max out the eq for the bass-mids -highs to come out. You turn the knobs 75 %, then all of the sudden, they start to have an affect on the particular eq band. I have also considered having Lakland install the New Lakland PU's and pre..........That is 300, with the trade in of your existing Bart set up, 400 w/out. I need a more flexability. Just trying to get some suggestions.

Oh, and Dave, the Epifani footswitch is working great.thanks for the sale.

Tony

6. Antman3820

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Im Looking for a more open, aggressive tone....I might have to replace the MM Bart on my 55-02