Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking of looking for a head/cab! help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jun 22, 2001.

1. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to amps... right now I'm playing on a Peavy TKO 115, and I want to upgrade!!! So here's what I need to know:

what to look for when looking for a head

how the different sized cabs sound

and anything else!

Basically, I'd like an idiots guide to amps, if possible.

Thanks!

2. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    k here's the deal buy ampeg or messa or David Eden cause there the best and in the long run best is cheepest right off the bat cause then yoyu never have to replace- buy something with 10" to start cause they have more deffintion then 15, um get ether a 2x10 or a 4x10 if u get the 4x10 and u get a good brand (messa, ampeg, or david Eden) u'll never have to replace it but 2x10's are good too! so yah get a desent head with power but it doesn't have to be a great head, I have a yorkville head (cheep ) but it has 400 watts at 4 ohms so it's got more than enogh power and head room
    so yah I hope this helps!!

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I guess if you dont know what you are looking for..
    Why Upgrade?
    The TKO isnt bad at all.

4. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    xharperx...swr is right up there withe the brands you mentioned, but id hardly call any of those "the best"...glockenlang anyone? there are plenty of VERY high end amps that most mere mortals cant even dream of affording.

I would say that you should get something good, but not killer right off the bat...maybe swr workingmans or something along that lines. I would suggest 400+ watts and a 6x10 cab or similiar...ive always found that a 4x10 just doesnt have the balls i want from them, but I typically am in high volume settings, so your milieage may vary.

5. how much money you wanna spend?

Seriously, you need to consider this. If you wanna spend up over 2 grand, you can be set up with a rig that will probly last you a life time, on the other hand, if you've only got a grand to blow on a rig, you'd probly go with somthing used, and most likly not as powerful, and you might need to replace it later on. Also, You wanna have to take it to the shop to have it maitenced, or you wanna have a head which is set and go, and never need maitence unless you drop it or somthing. Also, how much power do you need? what kind of show's do you plan on playing, what else will you be playing with (how many guitars, drums ect). All of this matters. We could just name brands that will give you killer tone, and power, with the added bonus of reliablity, but it will cost you a few pretty pennies.

With as much as i know. I'd say you should get a SS amp, or Hybrid amp, simply because you dont know a lot about amps, and you might not want to deal with tubes, and the problems they cause (yet i was like this 6 months ago, now i have a all tube guitar amp). I'd recomend you try out SWR, Eden, Ampeg, Ashdown, peavey, and Mesa/Boogie, just so you get a taste of whats out there. I know that mesa has only one non tube bass amp (m-pulse... anyone konw about these?). As for cabs, also just start messing around with whats out there, and decide what you like, whether its 10's, 12's or 15's.

I also recomend you read teh "amps FAQ's" topic, because you will learn a ton of new stuff that is almost essentail for you to know. You may not use all the information, but its good to know you know about it, especialy about impedences. It will also talk about speakers and things about amps. Good reading.