Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of making a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Hello TB,

Im thinking of making my own distortion pedal from this design (click on the download now link)
    Now i have a few questions;
    1) This pedal is for guitar, so what parts would need changing and what to for it to work well and sound good for bass.
    2) Im not sure where the input, output and battery clip connect to on the circut board on to each other, and there not listed on the parts list but i have these parts already would they work (2 stereo inputs/outputs and a battery clip)

Thanks for the help, i will ask more questions as i go along im sure

2. Oh yeah and where does the footswitch go also?

If you could take some screenshots and draw on there PCB's to help me that would be great.

Thanks again

3. Maybe this might help you see what im having troubles with

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here you go. This should be about what you're looking for. Any questions, just ask.

5. Thanks for that Tmo33, there is one thing i dont get on that pic though i have circled it in the attachment.

Is where i circled the footswitch?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yes. Exactly. You get what I'm saying about the capacitors, right?

7. Thanks again...i think i get what you mean...is it just those 2 ones next to each other or all of them on that side of the board?...and what value should i change them to?

Also how many pin footswitch should i get (2,4,6)?
    and
    Should the in and out be stereo or mono?

thanks

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    a 3-pin would work with this design. It's an on-on switch. And yes, the capacitors that are right next to each other right near the "in." probably a .05mfd would work. ot a .047mfd might be easier to get. You might also try a couple of different types. The mylar film caps work quite well. It's really too bad that radio shack doesn't carry all the DIY stuff they used to. But you can get the caps there. HAve fun!

9. Thanks again, you have been a great help....i hope i will be able to make it not this weekend but next, but if not i will definatly get round to it the weekend after.
    Just one more thing, does changing the capicator values make it right for bass or just bring out the bass sound more when a guitar is going through it?

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, it allows more lowend response. It will open up the lows a bit on guitar I'm sure, but it allows your bass to shine through a bit more.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

a 3-pin would work with this design. It's an on-on switch.

How's the EFX output get to the output jack in your drawing?

Also, don't you want to ground those jacks to the circuit?

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Woops. I'm working on it.

Edit: Here's the revised and corrected one!

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Hey bro, I don't want to come off ugly here. I'll be happy to diagram it or offer suggestions, not just criticism. You guys will probably learn more by working it out yourselves though, actually. I'll check back in tomorrow and see how you're doing.

I hadn't seen that website before. Are there schematics on there somewhere that I missed?

Luck,

Charlie Escher

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm usually pretty good with this stuff. But it's getting late. I think I got it right this time.

15. Ok thanks guys...a few more questions about the new layout.

Where you have the "to battery" is that going to the input jack then to the battery (is that what it mean)?
    The input jack will a switch type, should that and the output jack be stereo or mono?
    Should i get a 5 pin TPST on-on switch?

Thanks

16. Yeah, i havent even started making it yet but am learning alot

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no. you really want the 6 pin. the negative will go the the switch section of the input jack. then out from there to the battery. The output jack will be mono. You aren't using a stereo effect so the stereo jack would make no difference

18. So a stereo jack would work?

I have a spare one thats all, be good to reuse it

19. Oh yeah, sorry about that didnt count the dots right

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    's ok