Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of making a videogame music cover band...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 22, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Can anyone out there give me any advice?

2. dude, that sounds like an awesome idea, i've heard covers of zelda, mario, and donkey kong, nothing else but hey, i'd come see that band play

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I know its been done before and people have played some really out-there stuff...

Really we're just thinking about Final Fantasy music at the moment but we're planning to extend our music choices.

I'm sort of having trouble thinking of what instruments to use. I'm thinking bass, guitar, drums, and keyboard at least.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    *cough minibosses cough*

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    COUGH!
    COUGH!

:p It hasn't been done in our town anyway...

6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Yep. The Minibosses are a great band who only play metal covers of video game music(I think their set is made up entirely of old NES and Atari games). Estradasphere has done a big band version of the music from the 1st level of Super Mario Bros. 2 and they also do alot of original stuff that sounds like video game music.

7. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    So... back on track...

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's a band her in Sydney called "Toy Masacre" (or something like that). Every instrument on stage is a kids toy, most are modified to have a standard jack output so they can DI them to the PA. They play everything from Rage against the Machine to the Pac-Mac theme. Very entertaining!

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Very cool I' have thought about this myself. You'll definately need a keyboard as stated. Some fun and cool games to cover would be :
    Anything from the Castlevania games
    Gradius and R-type (if your good at slap)
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert
    River City Ransom
    F-Zero
    Mike Tyson's Punch-out
    Super Dodge-Ball
    Metroid/Super Metroid
    Need for Speed
    Chrono Trigger

There are a lot more cool ones out there but that's all my barin is diggin up right now. Good luck!
    :)

10. for the guitar player, get an MXR blue box pedal for old-school video game noises.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A lot of old video game music is actually really good, the samples and synths sucked, but the music was still good.

Freshman year of high school I did the Super mario underground funk remix version.

that consisted of
    myself on bass
    Friends:
    sadie on bass
    lacey on guitar
    philip on drums
    sasha on keyboards
    and Scott on the original NES...the performance started with him coming out on stage, getting to level 2(the underground) then we started playing...it went on for like 20 minutes, just jamming on this mario groove, we had this Really tall guy dressed up as luigi and a shorter guy dressed up as mario, we had goombas and a koopa troopa, half the theater was dancing, it was great.

ahhh memories.

12. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Wrong Robot that sounds so awesome... hate to imagine what would happen if the cartridge didnt work and you kept getting the green screen of death.

13. I've seen many bands playing video game music covers in punk version.. as well as cartoon themes.. They all sucked!

Anyway.. I remember that the music of the old NES GOdzilla game war pretty damn cool.. I loved it.. But I dont think that many people in the audience would recognize it thought.

14. It's amazing no one even mentioned Mega Man... :)
    If you know how to play Iron Maiden covers, the best thing to start of with is old Mega Man songs. The music from the first Dr. Wily level in Mega Man 2 is really fun to play on bass!

If you want to do accurate covers, download a NES emulator (Nesticle for instance) and some ROM's. Load a game and reduce the spead so you more easily can pick out each note. If you want to listen to only one instrument you can mute the other sound channels. Use the save and load function so you don't have to wait for the whole song to play if you miss a note somewhere.

EDIT: If you don't own the original game, remember to delete the ROM within 24 hours or else it's illegal. ;)

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Castlevania!!

Download a rm of/buy castle vania 10 (SNES) it's got some killer songs on it.

Also, check out powertab for castlevania level 5 song (something along those lines), my bands working on it as an intro kinda song, you know to play while people gather?

I'd try to avoid a keyboard where possible though :/

16. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yeah, I noticed a maidenesque bassline on mega man 10 the spark mandril level!

Also, on the level immediatly after you've nailed each boss theres a slap bass line similar to victor wootens material :EEK:

17. I remember playing a particular version of "Tetris", I think it was "Tetris Attack", where you choose a character from "Mario Bros." and you play against the computer or a friend... There were some mighty funky bass in that game! :bassist:

18. i love to play the toejam and earl theme, thats awsome, so is the underground cave part in mario