Thinking of moving to Vancouver, B.C.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Like the title says I'm thinking of moving to vancouver since my girls got accepted there and I'm simply wondering what the whole canadian scene is like there. I play mostly heavyier music but am also into funk quite a bit. Are bassist in demand there and are there plenty of venues available? Basically any info would be great. I'm going to visit for a week in september, but have yet to ever go there.:D ;)
  2. I dont know much about the music scene there, but have been there a few times and I loved it. It is like Canada's version of San Francisco. So if you like SF, I think you'd like Vancouver. BC Bud is the best!
  3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I absoulutely love SF when I visited there and I here the same thing about the BUD.;)
  4. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I live in Port Alberni which is like 2 and a half hours away. The music scene in Vancouver is just booming right now. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a band to play with... there were over 1400 bands that entered new music west this year. Talk to Xavier G ... he lives there. Pm me or email if you have anymore questions or whatever.
  5. Ummm, are you nuts? Isn't the big complaint about Vancouver the lack of a LIVE music scene. But I'll say this up-front - Vancouver is one of the best place in the world to live. With that being said, it could be better in many ways.

Finding musicians isn't the tough part. The Georgia Straight (our hip cultural newspaper) is always looking for bassists or drummers.

It's finding a place to play that hard!

A lot of good live venues have shut down in the last few years and converted to the DJ / dance format. The few live venues that are left are either reserved for larger touring acts (The famous Commodore Ballroom) or small and booked up like crazy (The Railway Club).

Fixer, if you have any questions, you can also try emailing me as well. I live in Maple Ridge which is on the eastern edge of the Lower Mainland but I do go downtown quite often.
  6. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

hmm, I don't know what you're comparing vancouver're probably thinking on a bigger scale than I am..
  7. I am from vancouver and in the scene with my band BushLeague... There is definitely a scene going on right now. There are plenty of venues, its the fans that need coercing.

ps- we just won the lower mainland fox bandfest on wednesday.
    We are in the Provincial finals Sunday aug 4th (long weekend). If any locals are around come check it out.