Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of painting stingray5, help please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I'm pretty tired of the ugly ol color, and am thinking of having a pro paint job done. I'd like to see about having one of those cool "chameleon", or color changing paint jobs done.....the ones you see on cars once in a blue moon, that change from green, to tan, pink, silver, orange, purple....etc. Does anyone know what this paint is actually called? Can anyone point me in the direcion of an experienced painter? Any ideas on price range (I know it's not cheap) Thanks!

2. I've heard it called "flip paint" before. I don't know if that's a brand name or just what some people call it, but I have heard it's expensive. You'll probably want to talk to some automotives people about obtaining some for whoever's going to paint your bass.

3. I think the trade name is "Harlequin". A custom car painter would be the best bet.

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    harlequin prismatique to be exact, try Carvin.

5. I didn't know you could have Carvin custom paint a StingRay bass?:eek:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats because you cant.

Peace
    Nick

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Ernie Ball has a color similar to that for the John Pettrucci model guitars, called the "Mystic Dream." I have seen this finish in person, and it is very cool..... I don't think that you would be disappointed!

P@

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    My mistake they only do that with Carvin guitars

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just wondering can a bass be painted with the paint they use for cars thank you

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Fender origionally used Dupont car paints for their finishes. Many of the colors you see on vintage Fenders are also typical of vintage cars because they were the same exact paints.

Peace
    Nick

11. Ernie Ball's "Mystic Dream" is almost identical to what you see on cars. It is made by Dupont and runs in the neighborhood of about $700 a qt.

Carvin's "Harlequin Prismatic" is more sparkly and weird, plus they won't allow it to be used anywhere else.

Mike Linkletter
    The Thirteenth Hour