thinking of pre/power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 30, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Since I just got my new Ampeg cabinet, I'm considering switching my head section. Why? Not too sure. I guess I just want to fill this cab with a full 1200 watts. I'm not dissatisfied with my 1001RB-II at all. I was thinking about a GK 2001RBP with maybe a Stewart World 1.2. Any have any input on deciding whether to or not?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm not sure if I'd do this if I were you. 540 + 50 is nice enough already. Maybe you'd double the wattage, but you'd also shell out a lof of cash. Also, you now have a head that is light. If you buy that setup, you'd have a pre that's light, a power amp, which is light as well, but also a rack, which is not as light.

If you plan on experimenting with different preamps in the near future, then you should go the pre/power route. If not, I'd leave it as it is.
  3. I see no reason for you to switch if thats the only reason you want to, but I think if you had the money, it would be a good idea, because if you get tired of GK stuff, you could switch out the pre.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member