1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Darryl Jones 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mashed potatoes, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    Looking for a new fretted bass and after using a fretless Lakland 55-01 for quite some time I'm thinking of buying a Darryl Jones 5. I want a jazz-style bass that I can travel with and use in mostly jazz and funk and I feel like the DJ might be that bass for me.

But, that being said, I've never seen a Darryl Jones that I could try out here. Any advice? Has anyone here played one and could give me some info about it? It seems that bass central always has them and I'm getting close to giving them a call.

2. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    bump? :help:

3. You probably want to talk to Basspraiser. He's in the midst of switching it up from a DJ 4 to a 5. I've messed around one one, but I prefer the JO5. It's got more Fenery goodness and less... zing, I guess. I think it's because I'm not really into the whole 'Fender on Steroids' thing right now.

That being said, if that's what you're looking for, you won't be making a mistake if you go the Lakland route...

4. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Love my DJ5..amazing sound, amazing neck..love being passive...IMO, you can't go wrong with either the JO5 or the DJ5. both are amazing basses.

check in with Brian Barrett at the low end..I think I just bought his last one, but he can order them...awesome guy to deal with.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you can afford it, get one. I think the DJ5 is the best passive five string jazz made short of something truly boutique and more than twice as expensive.

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

As Cheese said, they're a great value for the money. I just picked one up and I couldn't be happier. I also have a 5502. I really liked the neck on the 5502, it was thin front to back, but it is just slightly wider than the DJ5 neck which is slightly thicker front to back. Now I have found that the DJ5 neck feels just perfect for me.

The output is hot for a passive bass and I plan to keep it passive. I really dig the tone.

I really suggest trying one out before you buy. I love mine, but for anyone to think that what I like is for everyone would be crazy. There are just too many options out there.

Good luck...

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I've actually never played a DJ5 - but I have played a DJ4 and a JO5 - different character but both FANTASTIC BASSES!!!! I just am being "drawn" to the whole range of tones and flexibility you get with a 5er....and I know the quality -I bought my DJ4 site unseen and having never played one and boy was I happy!!!! I KNOW I will be happy with the 5er now.....

I would say take the dive and enjoy the Lakland pool!

Doug

8. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    I absolutely LOVE my DJ5 with the Audere pre... I certainly don't regret it. I would say that I prefer the shallower/slightly wider neck on my 55-02, but it's definitely still got a great feel, not to mention that it's one of the hottest basses made ;)

Randy

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    at least I think I do. Good thread here, I bought a new 55-01 from BassCentral based only on what I read here a couple years ago. I bought a used 55-02D based on what I read here. I could not find these basses locally to try em out. Now by all I have been reading here when I pull the trigger I would not hesitate to buy a Skyline DJ5 or JO5 without trying one out firsthand, mainly cause I never can seem to find one locally, but I'd do it again. Just dont know which one DJ or JO will suit me best yet, so I'll keep reading the posts and jump when Im ready. FYI, Im leaning to the DJ5 for now. Please keep posting on em so I can learn more. :cool:

10. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks for the help, guys. I'm leaning more towards the DJ5 mainly because of the smaller body shape. I was never a fan of the huge, cumbersome jazz bass feel.
    As far as playability and sound goes between the two I'd love to learn more though.

11. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    +1
    I just got one 3 days ago and I had a JO5 2 years ago.
    I prefer the DJ as it has a fatter sound to me. (note: it has the Aero PUs and a maple neck)

I don't think it is a typical "Jazz on steroids" as it has a massive full and meaty passive sound, not the top end I associate with the "J on steroids" notion I perceive with my Sadowsky.

I am really satisfied with my new purchase!

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    And Im thinking cause my other 2 Skylines have maple boards I'd prefer the tone and I know I like the looks of the DJ5 with what is it(?) rosewood/ebony board w/white blocks, still with the white body and pearloid picgard, at least of those pics Ive see they look sharp to me. Dont know if I'll ever get a chance to hear one before I buy. Anyone comment on the different fretboard tones, feel, whatever?

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I think it's worth noting that the DJs USED to have the aggressive-sounding Aero pickups, while the JOs had the mellower Fralins. However, mashed, both use the SAME Lakland pickups now, so if you're buying new, they should sound pretty much the same! It comes down to the styling and neck shape you prefer.

I have a CAR DJ4 with Aeros that I bought used last year. The look still amazes me every time I pull it out, it's gorgeous. The neck is kind of thin for me (I'm a P-bass guy), but it's still a fun bass to play.