1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of putting new pickups in crummy bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassanddrums, Apr 16, 2009.

1. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I have a Rogue LX200B Series II that was got as a practice bass while my good one was at school. I have no doubt that new pickups would greatly benefit the bass. I get a lot of static when I play and I know it must be the electronics in the bass.

I was thinking of getting real rock/metal pickups because... well... I like that kinda stuff.

Now I don't know much about basses electronics or basses for that matter so I'm asking TalkBass to help me out.

What I do know is that the current pick ups are a P/J style and are active.

I've heard good things about Seymore Duncan and EMG but I still know very little.

*What pups should I get?
    *Are all pups the same size or would the spaces have to be recut for new ones.
    *What kind of pups do you use?

2. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    If it's a crummy bass with crummy pickups, don't bother.
    If it's a decent bass that needs new pickups:
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders would be good.
    I've got a Lindy Fralin P/J Set I absolutely love!

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Good pickups and good strings will sound good, no matter what you put them on.

I recently got one of the best bass sounds I ever have with a rewound pickup, TI JF344 strings, and a Indonesian plywood body.

4. Putting upgraded pickups in your bass is ok as long as you don't have to do any routing. Kerp the originals and put them back in when and if you sell it. Save your good pickups for your next bass. Norstrand, Fralin, Duncan are all good choices.

5. I bought these http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--EMGPJSET from this site and put em on my rogue Lx205B 5-string, all I had to do was drop em in, connect the quick connects no soldering required and that was it, for the battery I just taped it in the left over space on the control cavity since its only 3 knobs not the original four, the only reason I bothered putting em in is because this bass is great its beat to hell looks like crap but yet plays so damn well that it definitely deserved some quality electronics, active pick ups are amazing man you wont regret dropping the cash for these pick ups.