1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of quitting because I'm just tired of it.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Slaphound, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I'm considering quitting a band I am in. I travel from Staten Island into Manhattan after work once a week and practice in studio for free. Its original rock music and we have played 2 gigs so far with one coming up next week. I am annoyed about the gig. Its the third week night gig and this one is at 10 30 or 11 PM. No pay by the way. I am a little disgusted with the band leader. He seems more concerned about playing in high profile places so he takes any crap time he can get. We could play every weekend in a little place in manhattan and get a following. I've expressed this to him with out telling him how disgusted I am.

So this is why I'm leaving. How do I do it? If I do It at rehearsal, then when?

thanks

2. If travel takes a while, just call. If not, maybe say you are doing one last show and then leaving.

3. I would tell them once you're done with your set at your upcoming gig. Don't leave them hanging right before the gig. If the band isn't willing to listen and address your concerns, then tell them after you guys get packed up and are heading home from the gig.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Quit after the last gig, right after load-out. Something like, "You know, this hasn't turned out to be what I want to be doing. I'm going to look for something a little more ..."

5. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I agree. Do the gig that you are compromised to do, and then quit. Not doing it would not be a very nice thing to do, and it could give you a bad name.

6. yeah but for sure quit

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I don't understand why the bandleader is wasting time playing free high profile gigs on weeknights. Tell him once again you idea on playing clubs with pay on weekends. If he pushes back the its time for the "its been fun playing with you but.....

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Like this.

9. There's no such thing as a "high profile" weeknight gig anyway, for the most part.

Are you the only guy in the band that feels this way, or are the other guys on the same page?

10. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    "high profile" clubs are only worth playing if:
    a) there is a following/crowd there to hear you
    b) you're opening for a major act coming through
    c) you've been promised (or are "auditioning") a slot at a prime time/opening for a national act if you play this show.

Outside of those, playing for free, to nobody, on a week night is not worth the hassle. If you're not developing a following, then you're really wasting your time there. I see this happen ALL the time to local bands here in Nashville. They get suckered into playing these crappy time slots at the "Prime" clubs in Nashville, but they always only play to the other bands on the ticket and their girlfriends.

If the band leader isn't insterested in playing at a sure fire place to develop a following, I'd seriously consider my involvement with them too.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I feel you. About 10 years ago, I used to commute into Manhattan from Peekskill for rehearsals and the band leader used to book 'showcases'! I hung in for about 2 months and I had to quit. It was costing me more money to get to rehearsals and gigs! Found a closer gig through the classifieds.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    So we agree. I have only played a couple of "high Profile" gigs but we still got paid.Free gigs with allot of travel on a weekday worknight? forget it. Tell him to take the Manhatten gigs or set sails for a better gig.

13. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Play the gig then....

Let them know that you are disatisfied with the current types of gigs the band has been playing and the reasons why. If it is in fact a BAND and not just "Whatshisname and the Whoevertheyares" they may have the same concerns as you and this current situation could change. If however they decide that they want to continue playing these types of gigs just let them know you wish them well but you're going to look elsewhere.

There are a couple of things to consider. 1) Depending on how the split goes you could offer up your services as a first call sub since you already know the material; and 2) if you generally get along with the band members keep in contact with them. As you already know this industry is more about who you know than what you know. If they keep doing these shows and go nowhere, some of these folks will be leaving the band and need work and maybe you could snag them for one of your own future projects; and 3) If the band gets along, maybe you need to stay and its the "band leader" that should go.... just sayin' :ninja:

Finally, I do have a question for you; Have you personally tried booking gigs that are more to your liking (closer to home/on weekends) or is all of the booking handled by the band leader? Maybe if you go out and book a few shows and the band makes a little money the band may WANT to do your type of gigs over the band leaders "high profile" gigs. By the way, just because its a black tie event doesn't mean its high profile.

Anyway I wish you well and hope you can work this out. Talk to them and find out where they stand and do what you need to do for you and the band, even if that means leaving.

Groove on brother. :bassist:

14. Jazzman23

Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    Jeez man, do what you think is right, it's not difficult. Just be respectful.

This band management board is 90% support group, 10% band management.

15. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    IME, there is little or no money in playing original music in small bars in Manhattan on weekend nights either, unless you already have a following. If you have access to this holy grail of NYC music, and you enjoy the music the band is making, try booking the gig yourself.

It's easy to run away from time invested, but hard to be pro-active and make the time already spent worth it.

16. gdawg27

gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006
    I can empathize. I'm a Staten Islander and I've done the city rehearsal thing and it's a pain.

17. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Well, I finally left. About 3 weeks ago. Had enough and I just called the leader and told him I'm considering quitting due to this that and the other thing. It all went well. I emailed the drummer (it was a power Trio) and I haven't heard from him what so ever. Confirmed the quit with an email and its done. Feel much better and I'm free to do what ever I want to.

Thanks for all the support.

18. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    You did the right thing, tactfully. Just want to say what's up from a fellow Staten Islander. I know that four hour commute (there and back) stinks - I have to do it almost everyday..

- John

19. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Hey John,

Yeah the daily commute is miserable. Much worse then going in by car at around 4 or 5pm to Houston St.
    Parking was pretty good though except during our miserable snow season which, by the way, seems to have subsided.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Actually, that may not necessarily be true. I heard an entertainment report on the radio state that Thursdays have actually surpassed Fridays & Saturdays as the most popular night for people to go out.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021