1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of quitting the band I'm in

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by stratovani, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Strictly for financial reasons. I joined them in early April, after answering a CL ad looking for musicians for a Tom Petty cover band. Six of us answered the ad, and we clicked right from the git-go. After much rehearsing and forming a set list we've played two gigs so far, with a third upcoming in early August. The problem is that I've had no income coming in since my unemployment ran out in May. We're living on what my wife and son bring in, and it's not much, since they both work at Walmart. I've been looking for work myself, but no one wants to hire a 58 year old man these days. I've applied at Walmart myself, so we'll see where that goes.

It's sad, but I just can't afford to be in a band right now. I drive an old car that's in need of some repair, and the price of gas isn't coming down much more. We have a band meeting tonight at a local restaurant, and I have to cash in a roll of quarters just to be able to buy something to eat and drink! I'm probably going to tell the guys that our next gig is going to be my last, and they need to find themselves another bass player, preferably someone with a steady income!

Thanks for letting me rant. This is tearing me up inside because this is a good band with good musicians. Man, this economy really sucks for us old guys! :(

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Man, I feel for you.
    Are you good with your hands? Perhaps you can start a Handyman service and work on people's houses fixing things. My buddy was in the same spot and now he making more money than he was at his old job. Sometimes you can only rely on yourself to get things going and make a job. Try to stay in the band as playing music is good for your soul and it may help you in the long run get thru these hard times.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    No way this band can be a source of income? I might be wrong, but I'd think a Tom Petty cover act could demand some serious money if they were tight enough...

4. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    strat, what have you historically done to earn a buck?

pm if you want. ima good ear...

very sorry to hear your plight....yours is a scenario that could be all-too-possible for many of us

/manhug

5. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    I have a friend that is in an ALABAMA cover band. They are super tight and do the cover thing as well as anyone. They get $2500-5000 per gig plus expenses.
    The money is there if you have the product.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

The one around here does.

7. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king.

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    I also feel your pain. Maybe the band can come up with a compromise to provide you with more income via more/better gigs?

I was playing in several bar bands recently, the expenses involved were greater than the bar-pay income, mostly due to the "musicians" involved "requiring" rehearsal time to make up for their total lack of self practice at home...which meant 4 hour commutes and rehearsal studio fees for me.

I ended up leaving all three bands, with proper notice, and ran into a fourth band that plays for much better money (no bars, only special events). Like you, I have to make profit due to being out of work (student) at 46 with little chance of getting day job without the degree (and I have no handyman skills, a big drawback).

8. Nomadskills

Nomadskills

Dec 27, 2010
    Here
    I feel for ya man. It's difficult times. Keep your head up and continue moving forward. Hopefully things will get worked out for ya.

9. We had a band meeting at a restaurant tonight, and I brought up my concerns. In the end we decided that the full band would rehearse every other week, with the off-week devoted to working on just the vocals, which need a good deal of work. I think that's an equitable arrangement, so I'll be staying on for the time being. We're also going to be rehearsing in our keyboard player's basement, and he live closer to me, so that's good also.

10. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I obviously can't be certain after only a few mild descriptions of these guys, but if they're willing to work with you on this and accommodate your situation as best they can, I think that says a lot for their character. Just saying that's not easy to find these days.

Best of luck with the employment situation, it's rough as **** out there right now, I feel for you.