1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of relocating to Germany

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by armywalaby, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Does anyone have any personal experience living there? I know I have to attend a lot of language classes before I am allowed to work, but what is the gigging scene like? I have a bunch of questions but it's more like one big question - what is....?

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    To my understanding it's a good place to live but very different from the US. Research garbage and recycling procedures...

3. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Why would you like to relocate to Germany?
    Are you still in the Military?

4. - Make shure you have a job there before you go: unemployment there is high so if you have to look for work there you might run out of money before you find it.
    - Gigging scene is better than elsewhere in Europe, but probably worse than in USA.

5. Not anymore. Mainly I don't really care for Americans anymore and I don't feel like I fit in. There is also the appeal to be able to hop on a train and go somewhere else easily. My girlfriend has relatives in Germany so I figured it'd be the best place in the EU to homestead at.

6. Well I'm currently remodeling a home into some apartments so I can have income to support myself during a transition, so there's that. I figured the train network would make it easier to branch out, since I know you have to own a vehicle before you can even apply for mandatory drivers education.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Don't like Americans? Honestly, it doesn't seem all that well thought out. There are ignorant Americans, Germans, Italians, English, Irish, Cambodians, Koreans, Jamaicans, Argentines, and Australians. Need I go on?

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Germany is a fine place to be - I always have a enjoyable time there. The people are quite nice and most speak at least some English.
    the economy seems to be doing better than most. The countryside is beautiful, and getting there is so easy - public transportation is fantastic, clean and reliable. Healthcare is amongst the best in the world. Also - it is only a quick ride to several other countries.

Enjoy yourself! My wife and I plan to relocate to Europe as well when she retires.

Important - be sure to settle in an area where there are other Americans. You will really need this after a while. We don't realize how our culture differs from others until you are somewhere else. It is essential to be able to visit and talk with people that have similar life experience and culture, at least once in a while.

9. you really didn't need to start. you appear to be trolling.

10. I've heard things from people stationed there, and none of them were bad. My girlfriend visited when she was a sophomore in high school and said pretty much everything you did. It seems my attitude of things and my perspective on life is more in step with the German people, at least what I know about it. So, naturally I came to TBOT to see if there was something I didn't know. :p

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I didn't start anything, and I'm not attempting to troll. It just seems to me like a reaction to something....I don't know what.

I love Europe, and can see the appeal of living there, but the reason which you, not I, quoted, seems a bit iffy. I'm not a huge world traveler, but I have been to several different Countries, and it seems to me, people are mostly the same the world over.

Just my two cents. You don't want my opinion, then don't post. Or at least post "please only respond if you're going to agree entirely with me.

Additionally, I think a good place to start would be to actually visit there before you decide to relocate.

12. guy, that's not what I said. if you had made your last post your first post and not made your first post at all it would have been interpreted differently. merely semantics. thank you for the opinion.

13. That's funny....that's my view on Americans...

14. LOL. You make you an extraordinarily broad statement that you don't like Americans and then accuse someone else of trolling?

I'm with you on the Germany thing though - my friend that lives in Hanover offered for me to stay there for as long as I wanted if I ever wanted to visit. As soon as I can scrounge the money I think I'll do it. I've always wanted to stay in a foreign country for an extended period of time.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think he's trying to get away from Americans. Which is funny as I suspect wherever the OP lands, the locals to that area will eagerly point out to him where the other Americans are in the neighborhood.

-Mike

16. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Damn, I guess Im too fat to be looking at this thread. Always did want to learn German though.

17. Americans are very easily manipulable,” says another friend of mine, referring to the fact that many don’t question what the government and media tell them. Germans are very much aware that the constant threat of evil

Did they forget about Hitler?

18. I think that may be what that statements referring to.

19. yep, they sure did...:D...world war I too.

i have to laugh when i hear all these wet-behind-the-ears Euro punks spouting all their criticism of "Americans"....considering that the only reason they are free to do so is that the American military has preserved their freedom all these years.

it reminds me of the great Rudyard Kipling's poem about how his own countrymen felt about their military:

for it's Tommy this and Tommy that, chuck him out, the brute
    But it's "savior of his country" when the guns begin to shoot.

you want to move to germany, where it's so much better...don't let the door hit you on the way out.

you'll be back within 10 years (heck, probably 5...:D)

davesignatureII-1.png