Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of selling my bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Feb 28, 2005.

1. .... but I only have two, and the other one is my fretless.

Some people have said I should keep the fretted, but the reality is that I never play it any more, and I really need the cash right now.

The most I'd get for it is probably $300AUD, and some of that will probably go to paying for the ad in the paper. :meh:

Should I, or shouldn't I? I dunno. Guess that's why I'm asking. :smug:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Is it really necessary? Do you REALLY need the money? I have regretted trading off my spector. But I do like the Jazz I got for it.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Purely on economics, yes, sell it. If it is not being used and you can use the money elsewhere, then sell it. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable not having a back-up bass. However, I don't know if you are gigging or not. If you aren't gigging, then a back-up bass is totally unnecessary.

4. I only use three of my basses (it used to be two but I am liking the thumb right now, which is odd) I wish I could get rid of other ones but it is HARD, even my backup 6... which NEVER EVER get's played and I think I have it in case a Cirrus string breaks so I can swap strings

5. If you're gigging...keep it...if you're not...sell it...
    If you like it...even if you don't play it much...but if you LIKE it...DON'T SELL IT.

You may be strapped for cash...but when are you gonna have enough to buy another?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are in need of cash, and you aren't using the bass, then selling it might be a good move.

FWIW, I have sold 4 or 5 basses in my life, and wound up regretting it every time.

I am moving this to Miscellaneous.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    And this is why I keep only one bass.

I never have to worry about having to sell a bass to make some money, or which bass isn't getting played enough. It should also be noted that I don't need a few basses to get certain tones...I own a MIA Fender Jazz with the J-Retro. It does it all. :)

-Mike

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always have a hard time choosing which baby is on the block next, some things I buy to spring a profit, but usually end up falling in love. Happened too many times already.

9. Uh... ok.

1) I'm not gigging - yet. Someone has rung me up to ask me if I'll play in a blues band (my first band, provided I get the gig!), but I figure I can always do that on the fretless. This point's an interesting one though, 'cos I've done a lot of stuff for the school and have never needed another back-up bass, so I dunno.

2) I don't love the bass. If I were any more violent, I'd probably go outside and smash it to bits. But I need the money, and it's worth something, so selling it's a better idea.

3) I really want to go overseas again the end of next year (back to Spain!), but I'm doubtful my mum's going to chip in this time, so I'm going to need every bit of money I can to pay for it.

I'm still not sure.

EDIT: Thanks for shifting it; how careless of me! :oops:

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    What is it exactly? I'm not sure it'll fetch $300AU.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    1. Sounds like some extra cash may be coming your way if you do start gigging with this blues band!

2. Don't love it? Cool. Get rid of it. But you may want to make sure that a backup is available to you from somewhere, just in case.

3. Need money? Start gigging. Jobs are much better ways to get extra cash than selling off your worldly possesions! Except as an emergency/last resort.

:)

Joe.

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree with Embellisher. I've sold 5 or 6 in the last few years and almost always regretted it. If you really like the bass try and find a way to keep it.

13. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Just went through this recently myself. Due to a bad streak of circumstances, my back ended up against the wall and I really had no choice but to sell one of my 3 basses. I had 2 fenders (a Jazz, a Precision), and a Spector Q5 (Korean). The Spector was my fave of the 3, but the Precision was a father's day gift from my wife, as was the Jazz from my daughter. Those were non-negotiable. I knew if I had more time, I'd be able to hang on, but circumstances didn't allow it. I do miss her so much :crying:

The amount I received for it as it turned out, was almost exactly what was needed to stay afloat!

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sell it, you can always buy another later if you want.

15. I dunno what kind it is; it's got "Legend" written on the side, and that's it. :shrug: I'm not talking about the MIM.

I am looking for work - I wasn't looking to gig (I'm still studying) as such, but just a part-time job, but if I do start gigging that'd be great!

The guy that used to play for the band is a good mate of mine (he gave me the heads up), so if I ever needed a backup back I could always borrow his five (I can't remember what that is).

And I don't love it at all. My first axe, sure, but I don't like it. I'd really love to throw it off a balcony.

I'll probably sell it.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I say smash it. If you don't have much else to pay for, you have plenty of time to raise money for your trip.

17. Sell tickets to people to smash it for you. One whack per ticket. You might make more money and enjoy getting rid of it more.

:bag:

18. Actually $300 can go a long way. You bank it, you get interest on it - that sounds cool to me.

dls59's idea's a good one, though... :D

19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    You can get along with one kidney.