1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of selling one of my basses, trying to determine value..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Refonbass, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Refonbass

Refonbass Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    I have a beautiful vintage 1983 Ken Smith that I acquired in a trade some time ago. I am thinking of selling it to help finance a new upright purchase that I've made.

The specs on the instrument are as follows.

4 string, set neck design, bubinga top, tiger maple back, ebony fretboard, Kent Armstrong pickups, Smith electronics (volume/pickup blend/bass and treble boost/cut active passive switch pickup phase switch), gold hardware, badass bridge, schaller machine heads.

The body itself was carved by Vinnie Fodera as this was at a time when they were working together. This bass plays and sounds exceptional. The truly amazing thing about this bass is despite being 25 years old, it is in what I would call near mint condition! The only thing I'm having a hard time determining is what it could be worth. Any help is certainly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Refonbass

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    any thoughts at all on this bass?
    I'm figuring a reasonable selling price is somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range?

p.s. not intending for this to come across as a for sale post in the wrong forum, just wanting to pick the brains of some gear savvy bassists on what its worth, being that I didn't actually pay anything for it (part of a trade). I just wanted to be in the ballpark before listing the bass..

3. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    Hi,

Hard question to answer but can u approximate wht the bass sounds like?? It looks like somthing I might want to replace an Alembic with!

Thanks
    Bill

4. Refonbass

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    it sounds wonderful, it truly captures that "smith" sound. To be honest it sounds and plays a lot like my main electric bass, a Fodera Monarch Deluxe. Really smooth highs and lows with a pronounced mid-range punch.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    where are you located?

6. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    PM Sent.

7. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    From The Official Vintage Guitar Price Guide (2008): 1978-2000 American made Ken Smith Bass, Excellent Condition: Low $1,500 -- High $2,500. Hope this helps!

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I have the same bass...... set neck and all. I bought it new in 1984.

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd shoot for 2200 and work from there.

10. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    throw it up on the bay and what the winning bidder pays is what its worth.

11. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    :rollno:This isn't the classified section...