Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of selling...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 8, 2005.

1. I have a question guys.

I have (2) 2x10 cabs and (2) 1x15 cabs.. All pre-gibson Trace Elliot.

I've been considering selling them, but I just dont know. I don't use them much. But, in the back of my mind, something is telling me "They dont make them like they use to, Keep them".

I'm not strapped for cash but just dont know if I should still keep these around or not.. Any suggestions?? What would you do?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, you know me when it comes to Trace :smug: If you have the room and don't need the cash don't sell them! Your right, they don't build them like that anymore.

Ofcourse if you do decide to sell, let me know what you want on those 15's :D

3. hehe, I'll let you know.

Right now I'm powering each stack with (1x15, 2x10) with a GK 700RB'S. So, in otherwords, 2 700RB's.. But, I dont know if its just me, but sometimes these 700RB's just sound thin. There is just something weird about the EQs on them that I have never gotten use to. But, I can't put my finger on it.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yea the GK's just never have been pleasing to my ears. Maybe its time for a new head?

5. new head(s).. Or maybe a good preamp and power amp.. Dunno yet...

I dont use them all that much anyways, unfortunatly.. I mainly use my Workingmans 10 for jazz gigs.. Wish Trace made a good, decent powered small combo amp (pre gibson ofcourse) so I could ditch the SWR..

6. I can relate. I was going to cart a Trace stack to the consignment store (putting this off for several years) when the bad news came concerning the end of the Trace era. Something tells me that I would be making a mistake to get rid of it. In my case it's an AH600SMX with 1048H and 1818 in Rolls Royce green covering. It looks like it was just taken out of the boxes, as I've never gigged with this particular setup. I'm not using it, but just can't bring myself to part with it. Then again, I guess I am a bit of a gearhead these days.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The pre-Gibson Trace's are pretty good. They don't work real well on the low B, but anything above that they sound pretty good. You're definitely right, they don't make 'em like they used to. I have sixteen Bag End cabs, fifteen of which sit in my garage most of the time. Once in a while I pull them out for big gigs. I swear by them, there's not a better speaker on the planet IMO. If you have something that works, don't give it up. Good gear is hard to come by. :)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    now THAT, i need a picture of. at least a list, nah need a picture. :D

9. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's just eight "mini-stacks", S-15's on the bottom and S-12's on top. Nothing really unusual. Somewhere around here I have a pic of myself on stage with Jumpin' Bones, it doesn't seem to be on this computer though. I'll try to find it. Every chance I get, I pick up a Bag End birch cab. Not the black ones, or the deep red, just the natural birch. Somehow they sound better, I don't know why that is, but they just do. If I could pick up another sixteen right now, I would. In my humble opinion, they're the best speakers/cabs on the planet. They do exactly what I want them to do. They sing "very" sweetly. Let's see, I think Explorer has found an old MP-3 of me playing with the big cabs in a rehearsal (pre-gig). Let me see if I can find a place to host it. It's an F-bass "Studio" (almost like a BN-5) through four Bag End stacks. John Mallis is on drums. Quite the amazing drummer. Much better than I am probably. :)

10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Darn, my FTP is all screwed up at the moment. Firewall issues. I can e-mail it to you though. Drop me a PM, and I'll send it to you. It's about four or five megs, so make sure your ISP will let it through. Lemme see, I'll go ahead and try, hopefully it'll make it through to you. Hang on a minute... :)

11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, well, technical difficulties. You've got PM though. I'll see if I can find that pic, it's somewhere around here. I'm bedridden at the moment, can't exactly take any new pics, but as soon as I can I'll be happy to do so. Meanwhile you'll have to settle for sound clips. :):):)

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    By the way, I just discovered that one of the ad sites up here has "StatBlaster" and "WinPup" on it. It'd probably be a good idea to remove those from your machine, if you happen to hit them. A word to the wise. :)

13. Just curious if anyone know why the horn on trace cabs use to have wire mesh domes over them??

I noticed no difference with them in or out..