Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of switching from ultra jazzes to model J's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've got dimarzio ultras in my jazz right now. The thing is they sound really good, but I play a lot with bands and I need some more mids. They cut through all right and the slap sound is fantastic, but I lose the kind of articulation I'd like. Do the model J's sound at all like the ultras? Would they be good for somebody who likes the sound of ultras but wants more mids and clarity?

2. What I'm thinking.. and I'm using Model J's.. Is that I would love to have a Ultra in the neck position to give it some more clarity/smoothness.

The Ultra's have boosted bass and highs and therefore a bit of a scooped mid section. The model J's have boosted mids. I got the comment that I have a midsy tone twice lately, so they do have a lot of mids.

I totally LOVE my Model J in the bridge position though. :hyper:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Model J's are a lot more 'in your face' than the Ultra Jazzes, with much more mids. Output is also higher, so it'd be tricky to mix and match them in same bass.
    If you look in the pickups faq, you'll find a thread of mine with a bunch of samples of different pickups in a geddy lee bass. The Sadowsky humcancellers were actually my favourite of the bunch I tried, they're in the same ballpark as the UJ's (they're both made by DM) but with less of a scooped sound. Those may be your best bet if you want something closer to the UJ's with less scoop.