Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of switching to Bartolini

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Oct 14, 2004.

1. I have a musicman 4 stringer right now, but the pickup in it doesnt get the growl i want. I thinking of switching to a bartonlini pickup, but not sure. I heard one and it sounds exactly like what i wanted, what do yall think?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Nice pickups, but you picked a bad time to switch. Bartolini is months behind on its orders. If you can find a dealer with Bart pups in stock, then go for it. If not, then prepare to wait several months.

BTW, I really like my Seymour Duncan alnico MusicMan pup. I get a ton of growl out of it.

3. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    I second the Seymour Duncan's. I'm ordering the ASB-2 soapbar set for my Schecter custom 5. Tons of growl, smooth highs, clear mids. Can't wait!! :hyper:

4. So seymore duncan gets the most growl? i havent heard alot of what they sound like. How could i try these p-ups with out buying it first?

5. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If you've found a bass that you've heard first hand (as opposed to some sound bite) that sounds exactly like what you want, you're way ahead of most players. You've got other aspects of a different bass to deal with and the rigging it ran through, but you know that pup can give you what you want under the right circumstances. It's been my experience pups retain their general characteristics from bass to bass and rigging to rigging, though growl can vary considerably just due to the acoustics of the bass. Aside from growl, In the process I wouldn't forget about the tone I'm looking for as well.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Growl ? from a Bart ? I find their pup's to be quite hifi. Are you sure it was the bass and not some other part of the rig that you were zeroing in on ? Bart does make a boatload of pup's and I haven't heard most of them ... the ones I have heard, including a set in one of my J's are very hifi sounding. The Duncan J pup's I mount in my other J's have much more of what I think of as Growl.

Granted I'm talking J pup's and you're talking MM but from what I have listened to, there is a 'Bart' sound ... and it isn't 'rude' in the least.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I get a good amount of growl from my Barts in my 6-string. Although I must say that I get more from the Duncans in my 4-string. However, they are not equal basses. The 6-string is a neck through with a walnut body. The 4-string is bolt-on with a mahogany body and maple top.