1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of switching to Fender P.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, Mar 7, 2010.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    So after owning and playing several Fender Jazz Basses, I am getting bored with the sound and wanting to go all 'P'.

I switched over from Carvin-LB75's to Fender Jazz in 05' and have not looked back. I have owned several Jazz Basses and have the one that is made and plays like butter. My 08' Am Std Charcoal Frost w/Maple neck. (((ahhh))) she's a beauty.

But Lately, To me the Jazz just sounds too thin going through my LM III and my Squier CV 60's P is right there giving me the tone-sound I want. So I can only afford a MIM P or trade my Jazz for a MIA-P. So I am loosing sleep wondering if I am going to get rid of my 08' Jazz and go to AV 62P or a 10' AM P....the color is getting to me too, either Oly White-Rosewood, 3-Tone-Rosewood......The MIM's are made well and feel good, but I know I would be more happy with a AV 62 or a Am Std.......Am I crazy? :help:

2. P>J

if i were you, id hang on to the jazz... sounds like you love it and would regret getting rid of it. the MIMs are solid, and you can always upgrade later.

3. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I'd keep the jazz.

I'd also play the snot out of that Squier!

And I'd favor the neck pickup on the Jazz, if it plays like butter, you'll miss it. A pickup swap can give you more bottom as well if that's what you're after.

4. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I'll try to put picks of my Jazz, everyone oohs and ahhs when they see my Jazz. I have added a chrome Neck p/u cover and thumrest under the bridge P/U, looks sharp, but the sound is just not what I am after anymore, the P is it. I do like my CV Squier, but I do not like the color but it just feels right, especially with Flats.

Thanks for saying keep the Jazz, maybe that will lean me towards a MIM as I have not played a bad one yet since they made minor changes in 09', now what color...

DSC01760.jpg

5. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I think the CV P does a great job of delivering a beefy P-tone. Play around with differenet strings and you could be very happy with it as your main bass. Keep the jazz if you can afford to do so. It's really up to you!

6. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Sounds like a paint job is in order. :D

Seriously, you could take it apart, mask off the neck pocket, and take it down to your local auto body shop and have them spray it for you. It could just be your dream bass, and you already own it.

7. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Flats all the way. I just wish it were a different color. Don't want to spend $180-250 on a paint job. That is why I am debating getting a MIM if I do not trade in my Jazz for a 62 or a MIA P.

I have changed pickguards in a Jazz, that is easy but what about changing a pickguard for a P?

Aren't the pots right there on the opposite side of the guard?

8. Do it. P-Basses are where it's at! Trade in your MIA Jazz for an MIA P in the same color scheme! Just my $.02

9. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I sort of agree about the sonic blue. It is very vintage and cool looking, but I have also thought about painting mine. I guess it can get annoying after a while. Yes, if you remove the pickguard on a P, the pots are right there.

10. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Can they easily be removed without damaging the wiring?

Sorry, never took one off of a P.

11. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Yes you have to take the pickguard off, but also remove the knobs, pots, and input jack from the plastic. The pots are threaded and there are nuts holding them on. It's not difficult, just take your time.

12. can you sell the squire and put that with your cash for a new p? shoot for a used road worn p. those things kill if you can get passed the stupid relicing.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    get you an MIM 50's P and call it done.
    they're great basses, no need to upgrade one; and reasonably priced.

14. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Well, If I do get rid of the Jazz, it would be for a AMS or AV P. But, I am leaning towards a MIM P. $549 pay off in a year thru GC or MF is not bad....I still kick myself for not getting a 50's Classic P-Bass two yrs ago when they were about $200 cheaper than they are now.

The Road warn play great, I like the relic look but not the way I wanna go. Thank-you though.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's my MIM. I have plenty of high end stuff, and a couple of gen-u-ine vintage P's too.
    I love this bass:
    50sPwide.jpg

16. I put the factory strings back on my 09 Jazz and what a difference! I think i am going to stick with those strings that have the tapered E string. It sounds big and powerful again. The Lowriders and D'Addario nickels sounded small and lifeless.

17. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have always been a Jazz guy. I just got my first MIA P a couple days ago. Best decision I ever made. I will never own another Fender J. P/J , fine but not J only.

18. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    P bass GAS is tough to shake. I played Jazz basses for a long time. I still have several but they see no playing time. They just dont have the bottom end grunt that the P gives.

19. MNHRSCHINC

MNHRSCHINC

May 6, 2009
    Central NJ
    Don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but dude, you should try Dunlop nickels.

20. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Chef, That is a great looking Bass and yes I have been eyeing that color too. But I saw a thread earlier today that they may discocontinue the Honey Blonde...I do not know why, I like it better than Salmon/Fiesta Red. It is still on Fenders website just not available at GC/MF.

Like I said I should of pulled the trigger on one in 08'.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020