thinking of switiching bands..what would you do

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Sep 1, 2005.

1. fisrt off i consider my self a blues/rock bassist i play in a local blues/rock/funk band right now. this band is kind of my baby meaning i started it and 3 of my best friends are in it with me. we are starting to get some reconition aound our local scene and just put out a full length cd which is doing well. how ever it feels like the band is going no where we don't have any gigs out of the area, and it seems like we are getting fewer and fewer people to the one we have. but i really like playing in it ( most of the time) my problem is that i just got offered a gig with a national blues act who has opend for the doobie bros, mark farner, robert cray and many other big names. they also play allthe major blues fests and all the major bike rallys. so my question is join this new band which plays national or stick with my project and stay in the area for a while?? WHAT WOULD YOU DO ????
  2. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Even thou i am new to giging...i guess you need to ask yourself are you commited to the touring band? I had a past in a sport in which i took on national companys for promotion and left local ones who were getting me no where behind The local ones were friends and backed me when i was getting going. The national backing was tough and wanted to much of me at the time and made it a job so i left it all and retired so to speak. l learned the grass is not always greener. If you have the time and are commited.... take the national act and give it all you got...just remember it might take more out of you and be much more pressure and stress...but hey thats part of fame ...right? :(
  3. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Ask them for a timeout to get a chance of this opportunity. Explain to them youll understand if they find a permanent replacement.
  4. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    If the touring gig looks solid, and you can afford/desire the time off to tour, it's probably a good opportunity. My band is having similar issues (lower turnout and more difficult to get gigs with originals-- see my thread about Original Band in a Pickle). In the end, getting an original band to the top (or even to a level that will give you a reasonable income) is VERY difficult. If your primary desire is to make money playing music, it is probably going to be difficult to turn down this opportunity without some regret in the future. If you would prefer to run your own band, play your own music and work with those closest to you, your current band is the best choice.

Do you stay at the surf shop with your buddies, or take the high paying accounting job and the coat and tie that goes with it? All up to you!! Both have benefits!! I like oyvind's idea of a sabbatical. Your bandmates will most likely understand.
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Even if you DO prefer to run your own band, this may STILL be a very valuable and profitable experience!

And once you get married (I can only assume you're not), then what about opportunities like this? My wife would probably leave me if I decided to go on the road - even though my present finacial situation is paycheck-to-paycheck (she's not very supportive of my music). ..And I might do it anyway, if the opportunity would present itself.

6. I'd say if you can get away to try it, go for it. You'll always regret not taking that chance. And you may like it, or if not, it'll be out of your system. And you will then be happy to just play locally.

If they're really your friends, they'll understand what a great opportunity this is for you, and will be disappointed you're leaving, but will continue to be your friends.

Tell them once you're big you'll get them in as your warmup act... or you'll use your fame to rejoin them and get them label interest.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can you do both? I do a lot of work backing oldies acts and touring, but I still have plenty of time to pursue other interests as well. But if I had to give up my local band to play with this new band you're talking about, I would do it just to learn how it's done and to get to talk to people who are doing it and learn from them and build better connections.
  8. +1
    That pretty much what I was going to say.

The answer is easy it's the choice that will be hard.
    what do YOU want the most.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, that'll go over just like when Charlie asked Boyd if he could go paint a car for Chip. One of the biggest keys to success is recognizing an opportunity. This is a major opportunity. Looks like it's time to move on. While you'll feel bad about leaving your buddies, your first obligation is the advancement of your musical career (or avocation). Go for it, dude.
  10. Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    There is no question that, from the tone of your post, you want to take your activities to a higher level. So the new gig would be an opportunity, no question.

If you are a serious music professional, as far as what that means in terms of an unglamorous commitment (I won't go into it here except to say low starting pay, long hours, very hard work and frustration), then reach for the brass ring with the new band.

But, understand, playing with people who are not your "best friends" will somewhat turn making music into a "job." You will probably have a lot less control of things in the new situation. And if you actually start touring, you will see that it takes an unusual personality to actually "enjoy" it.

The only alternative is to goose things back home with your present band, via marketing, or changing what and where you play. But like some have said above, you may always wonder what could have been...

Whatever you choose, good luck.