1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of taking the MarkBass plunge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chjohnst, Mar 7, 2010.

1. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
    So I have been playing through a GK stack for the past year which includes a backline 600 and a 410 GLX (gold coned subs from GC that supposedly only they sell?). I am content with the tone, but I wouldn't say its "THE TONE" for me as I find it to good for a entry level amplifier.

Now the big issue I have with my current rig is the weight of a 4x10 cabinet, I do weekly rehearsals and gigs with one of the projects I am in and its getting a bit much to lug around. I have turned down some potential jam situations as the cabinets size/weight has gotten in the way for various reasons (no room, too loud, etc). So I am thinking of downsizing and/or changing my options up to be more flexible for my situation.

After a lot of research and youtubing, I was thinking of taking the plunge on a markbass cab and head (leaving my GK 600 as a backup) and getting a smaller MarkBass cabinet and setup for its weight and tone.

I was looking at the 102HF cabinet with compression tweeters
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=31

And the 151HR for the bottom cabinet.
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=30

Now I had a question around tweeters as I have never had them in a cabinet before, but what do they do the sound tonally? Would they give me an increased mid-high response? Can they be turned on/off from the cabinet? Two cabinets with tweeters too much, should I consider a cabinet without?

Lastly what are peoples thoughts on the LMII or LMTube? Is 500 watts enough to drive two cabinets (impedance is a factor of course)? I have heard bad reviews about the LMtube due to the size of the tube it uses and you can get more "tubey" sounding using an LMII and a VTpedal with more options.

Any other advice you can provide would be great!

-Chris

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Is it possible for you to actually try out the unit in question?

We can all describe how chicken tastes, but until you put some in your mouth you will never know. Seriously.

3. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
    When I bought my GK unit a year back MB was recommended to me by another bass player, but when I saw the price tags at the time the GK unit fit my budget and what I thought at the time was good enough to fill my requirements (basement studio at my house). I have plugged in to them before at GC, so far I like what I played, the weight of the cabinet felt nice, their was a big sound coming from just the 15. I did not get a chance to play in a separate head as I played one of the combo units. I should go down and bring my fender to see how I like the sound, but I would like to be prepared to know what I am looking at when/if I do decide to make a purchase on a new rig. Sometimes sales guys can be a bit pushy or tell me something that may be incorrect.

-Chris

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The understatement of the year!

You really have to listen to the MB rig, because it's quite different from a GK.

5. G-K neo cabs with the BL600 will sound a lot different also. The NEO cabs are a LOT lighter than the "GLX" and IME have a much better tone.

6. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    its a good cab the 2x10 markbass

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    either you like markbass cabs or you don't...not much of a middle ground. you should play a couple before you decide on them. i think they're great because they really help you hear yourself in a mix, but sometimes they can get a little too intense with the upper mids.

8. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    I was in ur shoes about a year ago lugging around a 8 rackspace ata with everything in it from furman /dtr/ maximiser/ wireless / and a 4 rackspace ampeg or 400 plus or a 2 rack eden wt50/with that i would lug a 8x10 or aggy 4x12...thats when we had a trailer.....well trailer is gone and now we all have to get our gear to the gig ...and i promise you neither one of those cabs will fit in my RT charger.....so i went on the hunt.....i ended up with a 2x10 markbass cab and a 1x15 bag end cab with a markbass f1 head....i can carry every thing i am going to perform on in one trip and with 2 arms....and you know what i play a 5 string ...i think and feel my cab sounds better now than it did b4...i know you wanted a 1x15 markbass ...but if you get a chance to get a bagend they are alot smaller than the markbass ...and they have more defenition imo....anyway...good luck...

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The tweeter on my 121H cab has an 'L pad' control, essentially a volume control that reduces the output of the tweeter. As far as I can tell it only really affects the zingy very top end, but I don't really have a toppy bright sound so I can't tell a lot of difference between it being turned up or all the way down.

YMMV however depending on your own bass voice.

10. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    certainly markbass is a lean buffalo steak than a chicken breast.

Back on topic, I have the exact setup right now and couldn't be happier Record times for setup and break downs. I have the 2x10 combo and 15r
    Really I only need the 2x10 the bigger the room the louder it gets.

Tweeters can be turned off if you set them to infinity (correct?)
    Haven't tried the tube and waiting for some funds to get a VT wish someone had a clip to how it sounds..

Take the plunge it's nice and warm, peer pressure, peer pressure DO IT!

11. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
    For starters I was looking into the smaller 2x10 cab to get my "feet wet" with mark bass stuff and play it with my GK head until I can get some time spent to listen to a few different amps. The size/weight of the 2x10 looks very promising for the size of the gigs I play in and for our rehearsal space. I got a chance to play a unit about 2 weeks back and like I said do like what I heard.

Jimmy M, I definitely want to cut through a bit more, but what do you mean by a little too intense in the upper mid? Can't most of it be EQ'ed out?

-Chris

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020