Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of trading Aguilar for Ampeg combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Oct 9, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Since I purchased my new SWR Goliath III, I have not been using the Aguilar GS210 much at all. I have been thinking of trading it for an Ampeg B100R combo.

I have just been offered an opportunity to join a full time working blues band. It would be a major career decision if I end up becoming the bassist as it would take up all of my time. I want a combo to use in smaller venues, and for practice sessions with my Funk/Latin band too.

Have any of you who own the amp tried slapping through it? I know it doesn't have a tweeter. but how does it sound? I don't often slap, but occasionally to add more percussion in my Latin band. I want a deep low end, with a smooth mid range. This amp seems like it would suit me well.

Here is a picture of the new rig!!:D :
    [​IMG]
    SWR IOD pre-amp
    Behringer Composer Pro
    Mesa Walkabout
    SWR Goliath III

2. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    You can't really go wrong with the B100R. It's definitely got the smooth mids, and if you crank the treble and activate the high boost you can get a nice slap sound. The mid contour button helps also. It would be a good amp for small blues gigs, nice and portable but can still fill a small room with good round tone. The cab and speaker can handle all of the 100 watts w/o farting. Go for it.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    :D

I'm not keeping the Composer Pro(it's not actually mine either!). I doesn't really do much for my sound. I can get a good natural compression with the IOD anyways.

I am going tomorrow to check out the Ampeg.