Thinking of trading my all SWR rig for...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodan, Aug 8, 2002.

1. all Aguilar rig or some combination of SWR/Aguilar/Eden. I actually like SWR heads, but the cabs are starting to sound a little sterile to me. On the other hand, I like Eden cabs, but for some reason I'm not that fond of their heads.

I'd like would like to add a little "fatness" to my sound. I've heard great things about the DB750 on the forum, and also about the Aggie cabs, but have not had a chance to try any Aguilar gear around here (there's a place around here that just got some of their preamps, the DB750 and some cabs)

Would welcome any comments...
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I right now have an SWR cab and an ampeg head. I'm really looking into making that an aguilar head if i can get my hands on one to Demo. Please let me know if you try the aggie amp w/ an SWR cab.
  3. I tried out the DB750 this afternoon. The store where I tried it out has only a small inventory, so I got to try it through a set of SWR 2x10 and 1x15 cabs, and then just with the swr 2x10, in order to A/B with the only Aggie cab they had - a GS210.

Through the 2 SWR cabs, the amp sounded great. With the amp flat, it sounded much better than my SWR head flat (SM-400s). When I A/B just the Aggie and SWR 2x10s, to be perfectly honest, I couldn't tell much of a difference. Maybe my ear is too used to the SWR sound, but I didn't think the difference was that great (despite what others have said here about Aggie cabs). Regardless, the head made either cabinet sound great.

It made me think that maybe what I need to work on changing first is the amp, and then worry about the cabinets.

I was only there for about 30 minutes, but those were my impressions thus far. I would have loved to try out an Aggie 2x12, but they didn't have any in stock.

Any other comments regarding my question?

P.S. Also got to try out an Ashdown ABM Evo 500 head and was very impressed. Now I now what people mean when they talk about the loud, warm tone from Ashdowns. I wouldn't mind having one of these, but for my taste, the DB750 just sounded sweeter.
  4. You can warm up your "sterile" SWR by installing
    a decent preamp tube.

Stock SWR "select" 12AX7 GT tubes suck!

Ever try a GE or Sylvania JAN 5751?

Yeah my SWR used to sound "sterile" until I found
    the right tube.

Some Preamp Tube Reviews

Triple Mica, Black Plate Sylvania 5751's.

5. I have a bunch of different 12AX7 (chinese, RCA NOS, etc), and I can't hear any difference.

Yeah, I do have all my hearing (tested and confirmed), but I can't hear any significant difference between tubes in my IOD.

Somebody mentioned the JJ tubes, Mullard, etc, but I have not tried any of them. I'd like to find a 12AX7 for my IOD that will give the biggest, fattest buttery tone possible. I'm not into shrill or clacky.
  6. I'm keeping my SWR SM400-S...

If you've got GAS, then you go!
  7. I have an SWR bass 350 and had stayed with the GT tube in it for awhile, but one day for the heck of it, I bought a Fender tube, it warmed right up.

I do not know who made it but it made a big difference in warmth. I have been told that the RCA's and Sylvania's are the way to go for my amp, and would like to try one.

Does anyone know a good source?

8. I had a long plate Fender tube in my SWR for a while (I've got three, anyone wanna buy 'em?). Much sweeter then the stock tube, however the 5751's seem to "growl" a tad with a touch of "overdrive-ness" in SWR applications.
    Smoother & Warmer IMHO.

5751 Tubes on E-Bay

I use Sylvania Military 5751.
    GE Five Stars are excellent too.

Prices are less then 12AX7's.

(Don't tell anybody!) :D
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    :confused: aren't fender tubes GT's?! :confused:

definitely try the new tube first. i definitely heard the difference between the Ei's and the GT's, and the JJ/Teslas and the GT's that i have in my IOD. couldn't really tell the difference between the Ei's and the JJ's but the JJ's hold up a lot better.
  10. These days, yeah.

Mine where out of an old Fender that had the tubes pulled when it was new by Mesa Boogie for a custom mod. They don't make 'em like they used to.
  11. Note the quotes around subjective descriptions, these are IMO and your milage my vary.

Although a different preamp tube can "warm" up a SWR, it won't approach the "tubiness" of the DB750 which uses 4 tubes in the preamp section.

OTOH, the DB750 is a pretty big chunk o' cash. If you are willing to spend a little time trying out tubes (and doing the reading to decide which ones), you may be pleasantly suprised. For additional "warmth" you could try a different cab. This approach would cost you a lot less than the 750.

Here's a search that finds 12ax7 and swr in the amps forum.

Good luck!
  12. I agree with Donne, I was looking into a new preamp/ amp combo because of some dissatisfaction with the sound of my new SWR SM-900. I changed the preamp tube, 12ax7 to another US made 12AX7 and what a difference!!!!!!!!!

It now sounds like a TUBE amp. I haven't rehearsed with it yet but I look forward to giving it a good test drive.

Listen to these guys. I'm going to order the 5751 and give it a go.