Thinking of trading my Ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor J, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Though I absolutley adore the sound and look of it, I'm thinking of selling my Ric 4003 and getting something else. I just can't get comfortable on it. I'm a finger player, I've tried it up high, down low, with and without the pickup cover but I just can't seem to get comfy on it. I don't feel at home on it like I do when I play my Jazz. I'm just back from a rehearsal with it and I feel kind of empty... am I going through a phase where I'll learn to love it again or should I just move on, hard though it will be? :help:
  2. im kinda in the same place with my 1980 4003.
    i just got a lakland skyline glaub and am wondering what to do with 4003.
  3. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I always rest my thumb on the pic gaurd ledge of the pickgaurd by the neck pickup. I always found it pretty comfy. I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I find there's too much give in the strings at the neck pickup and I've tried heavy, heavy strings (currently got 110s on it). I removed the bridge pickup cover and played on the bridge pickup but kept finding the bridge pickup metal ring a bit too sharp on my thumb at times. I just can't settle on it immediately like I can on a Fender based design. It's killing me because man, that tone, I would hate to say goodbye to it but I only play it sporadically now :crying:
  5. speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    why don't you just buy a thumb rest and screw into the place that suits you.
  6. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    Check out the threads n the Rickenbacker Forum on this ... you WILL live to regret it if you part with it my friend !!

I own two Ric 4003s with a 4003FL on order. I would rather die than part with them !!:bassist:
  7. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    After thinking long and hard about it, I sold my 4003 about year ago. About 4 months later I bought a new one just like it. I'm not *sure* if you will regret it, because you have more specific reasons you don't like it, but you might regret it. The good news is, they hold their resale value *so* well, that you can sell (provided it's not something irreplaceable) and buy a new one if you need to, and you won't loose but about $50 bucks.

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Exactly why I moved mine. I loved the look and sound, but just couldn't get comfortable with it.
  9. If it doesn't do it for you, sell it. Just because someone else wouldn't doesn;t mean you have to keep it. You don't use it, the money will probably fit your hand comfortably and someone out htere who wants one will be happy.
  10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Ricks seem to be a love it or hate it instrument. I have played a few and never liked the feel or tone. If you don't like it, sell it.