Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking of trading svt classic, 8x10 for sm400 and goliath sr...input!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Nov 19, 2004.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Title says enough, I play mainly finger style in a rock/indie band can listen to a song for example www.myspace.com/ideefixe. I played it yesterday in the store, sounded much clearer and defined but lacked the warmth and oomph. can this swr setup get warm with some booty? i know the two setups are very different. any input would be great. thanks.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you want more clarity but still the warmth and oomph, I think you really should lean towards Ashdown ABM amps instead of SWR...

Hope this helps,
    JL

3. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'd recommend the Aguilar AG500. Clear and warm and a distortion channel for fun.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you make that trade, I'll guarantee you that you will regret it from time to time during your entire career . . .

5. My input: don't do it.

You wanna keep the cab and get the Ashdown ABM 500...but only if weight is a consideration here...

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    ...but will quickly get over the regret as load out time approaches.

7. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    +1

8. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i'm young and strong, weight is not an issue. i was just looking for something to add clairty. i've also been looking into getting and active tune five string bass so i think that should help with the clairity issue.

9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Yah, ABM 500 should be the ticket for what you're looking for.

10. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i tried an abm 500 and was really disapointed in the volume, is the 900 much (audibly) louder?

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO a different bass could very well be the solution. Also, I've always felt that Eden gear was the 'missing link' between Ampeg and SWR tone-wise, so you may want to try out a few Eden heads and cabs.

Best regards, Art

12. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I made almost exactly that trade... it worked well for me for a looong time. I am currently ready to move back to the ampeg sound... but just 'cause i'm in a band now that needs that kinda tone. Both great setups...

13. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

Great advice. The wise will always remind one that,

"The grass is never greener on the other side"

Even more true when we are talking about an Ampeg being involved! :hyper:

14. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Keep the Ampeg and get a high end G&L bass and your problems are solved! Enjoy...... :smug:

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    essentially you're asking us if you should take your vanilla cone back and get a chocolate one. we may all have opinions but no one can really tell you for sure.
    fwiw, i think its not a bad idea to trade your 8x10 for a 6x10 or even a 210 and 410 just because load in will be easier, and because 8 tens are generally overkill in most situations.
    FWIW, when i wanted a little more booty/warmth from my swr head i stomped on a sans amp bddi.

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    For the music your playing, I think an SM-400/Goliath Sr rig would sound great. I listened to some of those songs, and I think it'd help the bass stand out more than the Ampeg rig is allowing. Very good music BTW. I loved it.

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The description of the SWR setup in the first post pretty much nails my opinion after trying it out in a store. I thought it sounded great at low volumes. Up to volume with the band, however, that great but somewhat sterile crisp sound was utterly lost in the mix. The 900 watt SWR head I had was like a 15 watt practice amp compared to my all tube 400+, and my SVT is even louder than the 400+. Unfortunately the only way to really know how any gear will perform is to try it out at full band volume. This is what makes places like Guitar Center and, here in the Northeast, Daddy's useful. Prices might not always the best compared to online, but you can bring stuff back. Of course, you'd have to be able to afford buying it outright vs. trading the current rig in, then selling the current rig if you liked the SWR better.

If volume, power, and having your bass be a physical presence is important, it's going to be tough to top your current rig. Changing the bass could make a big difference, EQ settings tweaking may help somewhat. Also, an additional cab like a 210 or 212 plus a tweeter if you like them could brighten things up, and decent ones can be had reasonably cheap. Listening to the clip, I found nothing wrong with the sound of the bass or where it fit in the music; personally I like a slightly brighter sound, so I supplement my 810 with additional cabinets. By itself, my 810 has a massive presence, it's a physical force, but pretty boomy.

So that's my long winded way of saying if it was me, I wouldn't do it. I think your basic sound is fine, if I wasn't completely happy I'd look to supplement my rig not replace it. If you added a small 4 ohm cab, you'd then also have a smaller mini rig for small gigs, just take the head and the little cab.

18. I agree with the switch to Ashdown ABM500 EVO11 i just did that from my SVTCL mainly for money / size reasons.

As an amp its better in some ways to the classic, more warmth and variation in sounds, not as growly but clearer and faster responding. Not loud enough wow my ABM500 is as loud as my SVTCL was easy, just a matter of eq and correct input settings and turning the tube drive to at least 11 o clock .
    Ashdown and giving Ampeg a good run for things, alot of pros are switching as they are more versatile, vintage warmth yet modern sounds when needed, good enough for System Of The Down and Adam Clayton of U2 !!

Martin ( formely Ampeg fan, now Ashdown lover )

19. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    keep the tubes, ditch the cab. maby i'm just wierd but i love the svt sound and hate 810's. i played through one at a gig once and it didn't really do it for me. it didn't sound bad just not my thing. (i slap alot so i'm kinda biased a bit towards cabs without tweets) i was using a groove tubes preamp at the time which is kinda like an swr(ended up ditching that as well a couple of years ago cause i had trouble cutting through) if it was me i'd go for a more hi-fi cab with your current head. if you can stand to lift them tube heads project bass like nothing else. i use a 2000 watt ss amp just to try and aproximate the projection of a good tube head. from what you said i think you might be happier with a cab that is more even throughout its range. the 810 just isn't it. it is a fantastic cab for some people, but others like me just don't quite like it. take your head to a local store and try it with a couple of cabs and see what you think.
    btw not to sound like evryone else, but i bet that your head would sound killer with a schroeder 21012 just like mine. i've finally got that clarity issue done with. i can hear myself and evryone else can too