1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of trying fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeaceFrog, Jan 1, 2007.

1. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Been listening to Pino's early stuff with Paul Young, Don Henley and Phil Collins. It's made me think about trying a fretless bass for the first time, I've played around with a fretless at the local GC and man was it ever a humbling experience! any suggestions from any fretless players would be great. Just the basics.

Thanks In Advance.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get one, and keep at it. That's how I got into fretless :)

3. Go for it!

IMO, fretless seems to make your playing smoother, especially if you have flats.

4. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Buy one, put rounds on it, turn up the mids a little, turn lights out (practice in the dark), use a hornless cabinet, be a pro in no less than your entire life. It is a huge challenge, but well worth it. At some point it will just click. You are human and will never play perfectly in tune, so forget trying to be perfect and make some beautiful music. Do try to get the intonation thing down a little before doing a gig though.

5. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good to know, thanks. Currently using TI Power Bass strings. Will try TI Jazz Flats for fretless.

6. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I'd suggest getting a bass with fretlines on the fingerboard. It'll make the transition much easier.

7. i'm kinda looking for a fretless to start with. any ideas, recommendation???

8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    If you want to "experiment" with a fretless, the Squire Vintage Modified is the way to go....only $280 and it is great! If I did not have two basses on order, I would have bought one.......would still like to but no extra funds right now....

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I agree with csala, fretlines will make you sound better, quicker.
    As far as what kind of bass to get, that's a personal choice. I believe Pino uses a P Bass fretless definately with round wounds, I prefer a jazz bass because the back PUP.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Technique...........

11. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm just starting out (been taking lessons for only about 4 months now), but I picked up the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz bass a couple of months ago (replaced a standard squier jazz bass), and have really been enjoying it, and my teacher also likes it quite a bit. I really like the feel of the fretless ebonol fingerboard, and the Duncan Designed pickups sound nice enough to me. And the fretlines definitely help.... although I've found that as I practice, it is actually helping my ear too, and I am getting better at being able to tell when I'm not positioned right even without looking at the fretlines.

I think I'd definitely recommend it as a fairly inexpensive fretless bass that might not be bad to at least try out. I actually purchased it over one of the Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Basses they had in the store.

-Zadillo

12. I picked up an "inexpensive", (used), one first to see if it would work for me and found that it would, and then upgraded to one that I love now. Although I've broken the TB "rule", it seems, about not looking at my hand, (it's non-lined, just the dots on top of the neck...) my intonation has improved greatly over the past couple of years. and I'm loving the feel and sound.

I got the best compliment I've gotten in years when I went into the studio the other day. I took both my fretless and fretted basses and when the sound-check was over, (using the fretless), the guy running the booth told me that he thought I was using the fretted bass! (He's also a bass player, and so I take his opinion seriously.) I pretty much "puffed up" over that one!

If I can do it, you can too! Go for it; just find the one you like and stick with it!:bassist:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think the new Squier Vintage Fretless Jazz is pretty amazing for a cheapo fretless. But everybody makes a fretless model, so try a bunch out and buy one.

14. +1!

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I found an old fender P bass that was a hollow body, mahogany back w/ spruce top... came frettless unlined... it was my first frettless bass... unfortunatly I sold it when I came across my 74 fender jazz... but was alot of fun to play...

Frettless yo!

16. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    For the Paul Young recordings didn't Pino use a Stingray with rounds, and I saw him on TV recently using the Stingray again but it sounded a bit more mellow. These days he uses a lot of flats on fretted and fretless I think.
    I'd go with the fretlines to start with, and many fretless played stay with the lines for good as they like them. Don't let anyone tell you fretlines are only used by new players only. Squier vintage fretless or a MIM fretless Jazz are both good.

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I just pick up a Fender standard fretless jazz and it sound pretty good for a cheap bass. I'm replacing the pickups because they are very noise but over all its worth the money. You could pick up a used one on e-bay cheap.