Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of trying something different for a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cassanova, Nov 23, 2000.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Some of you may remember me posting a thread about my Amp and cap clipping. Ive been shopping around for a new head with more power but havent really found any that "turn me on" I was thinking of just buying a good power amp and 20 band eq and use this for a head. Has anyone tryed this in the past? I dont know if its a good Idea or not, but it seems to make sense to me.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Sounds ok to me, though a good portion of your sound is going to come directly from your bass - that may be good or bad depending upon your bass and how you want to sound (yes, the EQ can boost/cut portions of it, but you're bass's overall sonic character will still remain the same - but isn't a good amp supposed to let that through anyway? :) ) One other thing, most EQ's that I know of don't have any sort of pre-amp gain on them, so an active bass may work better for this than a passive one.

I've plugged straight into an amp before, and I hated the tone, but then again I wasn't playing the greatest bass in the world. I've also plugged direct into the board (3 band EQ), which I didn't like too well either. I'd reccommend trying whatever setup you want out first and see how it sounds - it may be the perfect sound for you or you may totally hate it.

3. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    White knight has some great ideas, but have you looked at buying a used preamp from Demeter, Ampeg, Eden, or SWR? Your bass would sound great thru any of those pre's and a good power amp. I'm in the same boat as you
    "Titanic o' no headroom" I have a 350 swr which is okay but I would like to have more headroom and the option of using only 1 cabinet instead 2 to get enough volume.;)

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I totally agree with you White Knite a good amp is supposed to enhance the sound of your bass, I love the sound Ive got now, The bass it self had good tone. I just need more power. And was thinking that I could get the same sound If I just bought a 500-600 watt power amp and just eq it with a 25 band graphic. And get the same if not better sound from her.

LowB, The only preamps Ive really tried was an SGX Nightbass SE, but wound up selling it, (a friend made me an offer too good to pass up on it) the other was the Ampeg SVP Pro preamp, and I wasnt all that impressed, Ive tried SWR, didnt care for the sounds of their amps either, I havent tried Demeter, and Eden yet, cant find either in the stores here to be honest with you, Mars and Sam Ash didnt have any.

5. EQs are great at fixing sonic problems but really aren't designed and dont't work well as preamps. The notches on a multiband EQ can literally turn off and on certain notes as opposed to tonal shading. A good quality preamp is a better solution but also consider using your current amp as a preamp or to run the high end in a biamped system.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    uhhh, ummmmm ... Navigator? Again, my unmitigated bias rears its ugly head. I've seen these used for $500 or so. A high-quality EQ will cost you almost this much (say, like a good 31-band dbx or something). This thing crawls with versatility.

Also, I think you'll find there are plenty of EQ units out there that can apply overall gain to the signal. Especially if you add it to the EQ gain you're going to get by boosting selected frequencies. I have a hard time keeping our PA EQ at unity gain just for that reason.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 11-25-2000 at 05:25 PM]

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Munji - I stand corrected about the EQ gain thing. And the sad part is that I run the sound for a singing group and there's a gain knob on the EQ, just noticed it! Argh...I must be losing it. :)

At any rate, perhaps you could take the advice above and run a line out to a seperate poweramp. If you like your current tone then this would seem to be the best idea. Either look for a line out jack or you can use the Effects Send jack of your effects loop.

8. slick77

slick77

Nov 22, 2000
    Try running a line out,into the P.A.& using your amp as a monitor.This allows you to set your tone & lets the house provide the power.I arrived at this set-up after my back gave out!

9. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Using my amp as a pre amp? I thought of this awhile back, (running a line out post preamp to a mackie power amp. Now what will Mr. Soundman plug into? I know he can mike my cabinet, but I like giving them the option of both sounds. Does anyone know if Mackie or similar brands have an output as well for Mr. Soundman(bring me a dream........ make my SWR sound like a ???????)

HA! now I'v lost my mind!

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    "Mr. Soundman" can plug you into any line level input (provided that you're on a line out or effects send on your end) channel on his mixing board. It depends upon the brands of the mixing board and amp whether this will be 1/4" or a XLR (or perhaps one of each on opposite ends).

If I'm understanding you correctly, then you're thinking about what he would do if you are already running you're line out or effects send to another power amp. Most power amps have a line level send, but not all. Try looking up your Mackie question here:

http://www.mackie.com

Otherwise, if you have both a line out and an effects send then you could use both of them.

11. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I love to practice by pluging directly into the "power amp input" of my combo, but even my 18v bartolini on-board pre-amp could only muster 1/3-1/2 volume. However, every power amp has different sensativity and I have no idea what mine is. I've often entertained the idea of bass>power-amp>cabinet, but am recently inclined to use a bare bones type pre-amp.
    RGDS

12. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Hey thanks White Knight! I had no idea I could use my effects send for output to the power amp, Now I can find plenty of power and headroom with a used power amp. I want to post a short story about bass headroom here. I played bass for this classic rock outfit awhile back, One of my 1st shows with them was at a classy joint in Hollywood. I just bought my 350 swr head which has 175 watts at 8ohms per cab,(there is no bridge mode. I clipped that amp all night long! Having no idea what happened or why I couldnt hear myself on stage I took the amp right to SWR and had them test it out. Lucky for me I didnt burn anything out. For this little guy to be heard you ethier need to lug an extra 4x10 to get the 4ohm's or have a great in house sound system with adequate stage moniters. Getting an extra poweramp should solve my headroom delema.