Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of using DHL?.....DON'T!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Sep 24, 2004.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Let me relay my first (and still ongoing) experience with this new DHL delivery service. You know, the one that's been running all the commercials making fun of FedEx and UPS.

1. My Wife's insurance (dissability for maternity leave) tries to "overnite" a late check to us on Monday using this new DHL.
    2. Even though the order for pickup was put in early Monday morning, DHL doesn't show until Tuesday.:meh:
    3. Since they didn't pickup until Tuesday, I should get on Wednesday. Wednesday comes and goes. I call DHL. Informed that even though it arrived here in Vegas at 7am., it was "missrouted" and I am "guaranteed" (remember this word) it will be "in my hands" in the morning (Thursday).:eyebrow:
    4. Noon! No check! Call again. "We are putting a supervisor on it and we "guarantee" it will be "in your hand" by 5pm."(when they close).:scowl:
    5. 5PM. NOTHING!!! Call again. "We have some trucks that deliver late. We "guarantee" it will be delivered to you tonight.":rollno:
    6. 8PM. NOTHING!!! Call again. "I'm sorry sir, but the Las Vegas office (you get their national office when you call) closes at 5pm and there's nobody there for me to get in contact with.":mad:

So let me get this straight: The check was ordered overnighted on Monday, not picked up until Tuesday, got to Vegas on Wednesday morning but still hasn't found it's way to me by the end of Thursday.....?!?!
    Un-"F"ing-believable!!!!

I may have to have someone's job tomorrow (whether it shows up or not).
    I haven't ruled out legal action either.

I Buy/Sell a lot and have NEVER had anything like this from FedEx, UPS, or USPS (although USPS has come close).
    Use DHL at your own risk!!!

2. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I didn't realize DHL was that bad in the states.

the 'H' in dhl is for Larry Hillblom, sort of a local legend here in the Marianas Islands. He was one of the founders of DHL, and (supposedly) died in a plane crash a few years back (never found the plane or body) leaving an estate of 600 million dollars. He had a big mansion on the island of Saipan, close here to Guam. Turned out this guy was a real freak, he travelled all around asia buying virgins to get himself off. Now there's still claims against his estate of children that are possibly his, I think they gave some proven kids 90 mil each. crazy story.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    And, yet--I've used DHL 15-20 times without any problem whatsoever.

So, use DHL at the same risk as using the USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc, etc, etc...

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just got done helping my dad buy a piece of industrial equipment through eBay. Shipping was done through DHL and there was some mishandling and damage incurred in transit...

:(

Sorry to hear about the problem with the check...

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Almost forgot:

My Wife is from the Phillippines.
    I should have known something was up when she started doing this :rolleyes: when the first commercials started running. Apparently DHL has been around in the Phillippines for years and doesn't have a good rep there either.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    7. 7am. Talked to them again to tell them "After all the crap in the last week, I better be first on the delivery list today." The operator reads back my info....and she has one letter in my street wrong!!! She's the first one to read it back to me in this manner so I don't know if this is a recent change in their computer, or the package actually has that address misspelling on it.

Either way, I gotta' believe it's DHL's screw up since the insurance company has been sending these for three months and all of them have had the correct address on them.

The comedy of errors and BS coming from this company continues.......:spit:

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Apparently you're not reading (or comprehending).
    I didn't say UPS, FedEx, or the USPS has been entirely problem free,
    but when there was a problem I didn't get run-around after run-around, guarantee after guarantee, BS followed by more BS when dealing with the problem.

The problems are the problems....it's the dishonest way they're trying to cover their asses (and blow smoke up mine) by, at times, flat out lying to me that is totally unprofessional.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    UPS Represent!

Yeah, we've recieved plenty of warnings from upper management about DHL attacking our service record, telling us to keep the quality of our work at a maximum. But apparently we don't have anything to worry about if this is any indication.

And just for the record. Anytime I see a box that may possibily be a bass, I set it to the side, and let it ride the irreg belt instead of sending it through the torture gauntlet, aka. sort grid.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, we tried DHL at work one time. Our package arrived late and damaged. Back to Fed Ex.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We only use UPS here at work. Fed Ex delivers to us once in awhile, but that is only maybe once a month. Other than that, it's the brown truck, here every day.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    8. 4pm. today. Nothing (or so it seems). Call again. "Sir, have you been home?" Yes. "My computer says the driver didn't get an answer (at the door) so he left it there."
    I open the door and sure enough, there it lays, out in the open, where anyone could have picked it up and walked away. So I tell her: Not only have I been right in the room by the door where it would be impossible for me to miss the "knock", but I have a dog that loses his mind anytime someone comes to the door.:scowl: "OK sir. I'll inform a supervisor of this driver's conduct. Have a good day".

DHL:
    Deliveries
    Horribly
    Late
    or
    Dumb
    Hopeless
    Lazy

Take your pick.....or feel free to join in.:eyebrow:

12. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    We use DHL, UPS, and FedEx at work, we get one truck a day from each of them and use them each for differant things (DHL is for documents, UPS for packages, FedEx for heavy or irregular objects.) Our paychecks come via DHL and they have never been late, the DHL driver is a very nice person who actually takes the time to introduce himself to new employees, I think that this may be the fault of your local DHL office. Report them and tell them you want proof that action was taken, also check their website for any guarantees on overnight delivery, if they make a promise they didn't keep contact your local Better Buisness office (or what have you) and let them know the whole story. Good luck.

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I've had very similar experiences, nearly identical in some respects, but mine (sorry xcental34x) have all been with UPS.

Once we had a vendor overnight a piece of equipment to us on Fri. for Mon. delivery. At the end of Mon. when it wasn't here and we called we were told that they routinely didn't deliver to us on Mondays because they have in their records that we are closed. We're a LARGE hospital. We NEVER close (and Mon. wasn't ANY sort of holiday.)

I once sent an overnight pkg for Saturday Delivery that didn't show up on Sat. When I found out on Mon. it took them 4 hours just to find the package. Then they told me it was sent to Nevada instead of New Orleans, so it would take another day to get it there. Sure enough, the next day it showed up, at out security desk in Massachusetts, the driver dropped it with the guard (who didn't know anything about the whole story) and left at 4:45 so I couldn't even get it back to them to be sent back out that same day.

More recently (and this time with FedEx) we purchased a piece of equipment and had them express overnight it (their choice to use FedEx). Well FedEx saw that it was for our company and recognized it, but we have many locations and I'm in the Administration buiding in downtown. They changed the "Ship To" address from our building to our main warehouse (in a different town even...) Well our warehouse only delivers to our buiding once a week on Fri. and the Pkg was delivered on Thurs, which meant they didn't have time to log it and get it on the Friday truck (they have procedures to follow that take time which is why we use express carriers for things that are urgent.) We're still in the process of trying to track down where the package had it's address changed so the jury is still out on this occurence.

I would say that they probably ALL have some local offices that have problems, unfortunatly it's UPS here and they have a contract with my company :( but there are no excuses for being treated like that, and all that's ever "guaranteed" is that it will originally get there for the original price (I've never been refunded the amount we paid for originally shipping a PKG even when it took 5 extra days to get delivered).

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    None taken LaJaioe. UPS has a very high custom satisfaction rating. Up at 98% if I recall correctly. Higher than Fed Ex and higher than DHL. There are always going to be a few exceptions with every company. The only way you can guarentee that package will get there in one piece is if you transport it yourself, but you can't so thats why you trust shipping companies. In a recent meeting, our manager was speaking to us about these satisfaction ratings, saying that ten years ago, it was just us, at the top, and Fed Ex was way behind, but since, they've been gaining on us. He attempted to motivate us to help keep ahead. It just shows that companies do take their customers very serious, but employees cannot always live upto that. This job is not fun, and by no means easy. Its tiring and frustrating. Most employees care about two things: their paycheck and going home. So I understand both sides of the issue. Heck I've got a jacket that shoulda been here two weeks ago that was shipped throuh UPS.

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    As far as a refund, that's up to our insurance as they sent it. The operator told me she was going to ask for one.

As far as UPS and FedEx, I don't doubt that you've all had problems with each (as I have). That's not the point here. Please go back to my post (#7) to see the actual point.

For the record, other than this DHL fiasco, the USPS has been the absolute worst when it comes to "F"ing up package deliveries.:spit:

16. I like the first one.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It does sort of roll off the tongue.:smug:

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know I'm sort of resurrecting an old thread, but I just found an anomaly about shipping today.

What happened - I ordered some items from amazon.com. As a customer, you don't have a choice of shippers.
    I tracked these hipments. As I tracked them, it turned out that they originally were picked up by USPS, (usually dependable), but were transferred to DHL......the company that everyone is dissing here!!!!

The items I sent weren't going to "Hog Squat, W. VA" and my location isn't "Spoonsuck, OK." They went to major cities.

With the bad experiences you all have reported about DHL, I just wanted to warn you about amazon.com. I don't get it - you think you're going with a reliable carrier such as USPS and it gets loaded on DHL.

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    DHL once delivered a package to me that was left in our driveway next to the sidewalk!!!!

It's safe to say we'll never use DHL again.

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    DHL sucks.

My company switched all shipping from FedEx to them because of rates. Within 2 or 3 weeks we went back to Fedex due to poor service.