Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking on changing the pick up on my 73 P Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, May 31, 2005.

1. so heres what i'm thinking ... i have a 73 pbass ( all original) and want a clearer tone out of it. i also has a P bass pickup that was built in the lane poor factory by one of the techs that is like 5 times hotter than the stock LP p bass pick up. it sounded great in an american p i had but had to sell the bass. so what do you guys think should i give it a try of just leave it be.

2. Yes! leave it be, The P Bass as a uneeque sound and the change it would be a crime. If you want a clearer tone find a differate bass, don't change that P bass

3. Yes! leave it be, The P Bass as a uneque sound and the change it, would be a crime. If you want a clearer tone, find a differate bass, don't change that P bass

4. Yes! leave it be, The P Bass as a uneque sound and to change it, would be a crime. If you want a clearer tone, find a differate bass, don't change that P bass

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want to retain that vintage vibe but enhance clarity, Lindy Fralin is a good choice. I'm sure others (Nordstrands come to mind) are great too, but I've heard the Fralin P and it's fantastic. Just ordered a set of his Split Jazz pickups for my 2003 J.