1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking Sadowsky but NY is a long drive...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonithen, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    Hey TB,

So I'm seriously considering placing an order with them, trying to narrow down the specifics of what I want. The issue at hand is, it's basically a lot of money and time to invest without having a chance to check out what the final result is like in person. I know the reputation is stellar, but ... nothing beats first hand experience and if I'm going to do this I want to know it is the right move.

Obviously, if worse comes to worse, I'll just make a weekend trip to NY and check out some stuff while I'm there at the source, and work in doing the tourist thing if I'm there anyway.

I just wanted to see if there was anyone who had either a 4 or 5 string from them basically anywhere between Worcester MA and Portland ME that would be willing to show me what one was like in person. Six-pack of preference, or whatever, is totally on me.

If this needs to be in another section, feel free to move. This was my best guess.

Thanks

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Sadowsky offers a 7 day approval. Check out their page. It appears they have lots of stock at this time. Moreover, Sadowsky is renown here on TB for top notch customer service. Give the shop a call. Maybe they have something to fit your needs in stock.

3. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I've played Sadowskys and run my 5 string J through his preamp religiously. Any questions you have, feel free to ask if you can't get your hands on one to try it out.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Given your location, a drive to NYC for you is a lot easier than for me (I'm in Seattle). Given the investment you might be making, a trip to NYC might really be worth it.

Best of luck in your bass search.

Bones

5. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    Jonithen, I'm in the same situation as you are.

I am a couple of weeks away from taking the drive to the shop. Their reputation
    is such that I'm sure I'll be able to pick one from their stock (and be very happy).
    My drive from Cape Cod won't be that bad, but I'm really looking forward to the
    visit, and the time I'll be spending making some comparisons, etc.

Be aware that they are only open M-F (9-5), no weekend hours

Dave

6. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You're also a heck of a lot closer to the shop than I am (Austin TX)! For your situation I'd strongly recommend that you make the drive to check out the shop, their current basses and meet the crew. I did that very thing last October with a buddy (we stayed in Harlem with a friend for a week) so we were just a hop, skip & jump away, and the visit was very rewarding. For instance I learned that even a Sadowsky bass with a maple fretboard is not enough to covert me from my lifelong aversion of maple fretboards and I got to speak with some of the Lisa and Alessandro about some ideas I have for a build (some of which they would do and some they were sure Roger wouldn't do). I didn't get to meet Roger because he wasn't back from NAMM yet but I'm still very grateful for the visit and now have a solid handle on what my build will be...as soon as I have the cash ready!

7. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I guess you are questioning the feel of the neck, frets and string spacing, as opposed to tone. Maybe they shape their neck profile differently, use higher or lower frets and use different spring spacing than Fender J-bass or P-bass. Maybe the fretboard profile is shallower.