Thinking to the Sadowsky way.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jun 1, 2003.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Even if i am a mediocre bass player i am still looking for a bass that can do evrything i need.

Having played some basses out there i realized that i have a thing for Fender P basses. An added J pickups can add the needed vesratility and a bypassable intuitive onboard preamp (2 band) can be useful for some situations.

So a 4 string PJ could be MY thing.

there are a lot of options out there, and among them i am considering the longest and hardest. Since i am not a rich guy i could consider to collect money for a Sadowsky PJ. and to this time collecting money for such a pricey bass could mean a couple of years (maybe 3...). I am not in hurry, i have good basses and i do not need really the bass as soon as possible. i could consider this bass as the greatest gift i can do to myself.

Let me introduce what i want. I want a bass that sounds fat, warm, old styled, really percussive as a P, with added J versatility, balanced, with a natural tone and with the best playability out there.

So i was thinking to:

Alder body
    Rosewood (morado or what the hell they call the brown wood) fingerboard
    Passive tone
    Vintage look (suburst with tortoise ppickguard or Lake placid blue with white pickguard)

Am i on a good way? are there PJ sadowsky (or other brand) players?

Sadowsky nuts, what's your opinion?

thank you so much.
  2. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Barroso, I would also consider the Celinder Vintage P. Although it doesn't have a jazz pickup, it does have the onboard preamp which gives you much greater flexibility than a standard P. The quality and workmanship of the Celinder basses are second to none. They have a handmade feel to them. Since they are made in Denmark, they are much cheaper for you. I've included a picture of mine. I highly recommend them. Where in Italy are you? I spent 2 weeks there last May, and I loved it.
  3. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Get the active pre with the passive option.
  4. I came to a similar conclusion after having owned 59 basses and guitars in my life...I have owned a lot of really great basses but I have always chased the GRAIL...After 2 years of research and buying Roger's outboard preamp I decided to take the plunge and ordered a bass from him a few weeks ago...I still think I would like to have a PJ but I ordered a JJ in a Swamp Ash Body/Caramel Quilted top/maple neck/Pau Ferro Finger board/passive tone option/Roger's own humcancelling J pups...Frankly, I can't wait to get my hands on her!!!My justification for this madness? I have spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to find in less expensive basses all of the qualities you will find in Roger's basses!!! I figure I can keep buying basses or I can get a couple of Sadowskys and save the difference!!! If this one turns out the way I think it will my next one will be a 21 fret PJ5 in Quilted burst with a maple neck and board/passive tone/Humcancellor revers PJ config...Yes, I know I am a SADOWSKY nut...One piece of could get Roger's out board preamp for about $250 shipped and use it on your existing basses now!! You don't have to wait for 2 or 3 years to get the benefit of that sound!!!

Good Luck and Go for it!!

5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´m thinking in the same lines as you. I want THE bass for me to stop changing basses every now and then.
    Sadowskys look great but will cost a lot here in Europe. I´m currently GASing for a Celinder:
    :eek: Sweet!
  6. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Jock, that's my bass! I bought it from Bass Exchange a few weeks ago. It is absolutely killer. I bought it the time as a Sadowsky, and I returned the Sadowsky. Next up is a Celinder J, maybe their Marcus Miller model.
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´m full of envy.
    I love that bass.:bawl:
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    He lives oversea's. Shipping to Italy will be alittle more. :)

I agree. If you give the Pre-amp pedal a try, you won't play any of you passive basses with out them, I don't!!!
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Barroso, I have the bass you're speaking of. A Sadowsky pj4, lake placid blue, mint green guard, morado board. It's awesome. It lets me dial in a great jazz tone but also lets me roll to a fat P tone when I need it. It still has the jbass neck taper which I prefer, light in weight, low action!, the greatest preamp in the world!!!(IMO). I'd say go for it. I've had the jj setup also. Both are great. I presently also play a Sadowsky 21 fret standard JJ. Awesome, too.

I've spent thousands of $'s trying to find the right tools and these are it for me. I also have a Celinder V5. It's nice but it's for sale! I prefer a 34" scale. The bass plays well but Roger's preamp rules, IMO! I'm sure you'll figure it out and get the right bass for you!:D

10. Coco'

Apr 24, 2001
    Milano, Italy
    Barroso, if you want to try out a Sadowsky preamp just tell me, I own one (yes, I'm the cane rognoso that doesn't always tell you about his gear :p ).
    An alder sadowsky pj is a fantastic choice. I'm also interested in that kind of configuration.
    Great to find you here my friend.
    Coco (aka Kozmiko)
  11. Here's my Sadowsky PJ4: :D
    spalted maple top
    alder body
    Brazilian rosewood fingerboard
    P-width neck/nut
    Sadowsky preamp and passive tone control

12. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have both Sadowsky JJ and PJ , and also Sadowsky Tokyo JJ. PJ with Alder body ,Brazilian Rosewood ,Passive tone control, 59 burst with Tortoise pick guard.
    I found that PJ has more fatness, thick low than JJ, while I can use full P pick up to get P sound. This is an amazing bass, I still can slap, pop just and do other thing like in J bass, so I have both world.
    Sadowsky workmanship is one of the best, you'll never regret it.
    I even like US made more than the Tokyo one, in term of soundwise.
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks to you all guys.

i appreciated that you get the point.

spending tons of money for 10 basses or spend tons of money for a couple?

as said before i actually have 3 basses.

the rick 4001 is a part of my little history as bass player, i have this bass for years and it was my only bass for a long time. i recorded with this one and made a little european tour. being an amateur player those years where mysweet spot and this bass reminds me the "golden age"...

i also have a fender P which is the bass i play the most. i feel really good with this bass.

the G&L L2000 i have is an awesome bass grat sound, incredible look, it could be the only bass i could sell to raise part of the money for the Sad PJ since i own this bass for not a long time and i have not yet an historic feeling with it.

back to the topic i admit that the alder body, PJ, morado, passive control is the bass i would like.

since a Sadowsky is no the cheapest bass around i could consider to build a clone (i remember the clone built by Nino and his coparative review) with warmoth parts and Sadowsky pickups and preamp, but this way, even if less expensive is not really cheap. So i prefer to wait more time collectong money and buy not only the Sadowsky model but also the Sadowsky effect (so light hi resonant woods, perfect craftmanship....)

i considered the celinder too but i have never seen or played one. i played one Sadowsky and was really impressed!

taking a look at i also see that the price for a Celinder J Vintage 4 Fretless is € 2750 and for the equivalent Sadowsky Vintage 4 is € 3857.

My point is that we are speking BIG numbers here, so if i will go this way 2750 or 3875€ are a lot of money!!

Thanks to who spoke about the preamp as a faster way to have the sadowsky sound and thanks to Coco' the Pekari who offered me to try the pedal. i'll do the test wit my basses and i'll see.

ps. that Celinder P is AWESOME looking!!

keep your advices coming
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i just read the interviews i downloaded at

interviews with Roger, PDf iwth uder comments about the basses and the preamp-

i am more and more focused on a Sadowsky bass. i'll starting collecting money and when i'll have the right amount of cash...

Nino...wait for me!!!:)
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks a lot, i really appreciate!
  16. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am considering Celinder as my next bass. Although I want a flamed or quilted top. I emailed Chris Celinder and eventhough it is not advertised on their website. They will build your P or J bass with a flamed or quilted top for an estimated 350.00 USD upcharge.
  17. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    g4string, have you seen the Marcus Miller Jazz on the Celinder site? That flamed ash is amazing!
  18. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am not a big fan of the Marcus bass by Celinder or Fender. I just dont like that big plastic square guard/plate. So to answer your question. I have not seen it. Although I am sure it is stunning. I thought about Sadowsky as my next bass. But when I found out that Celinder can do deluxe tops, I am going the Celinder route.
  19. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    The Celinder Marcus Miller has the same shape scratch plate as their regular Jazz, but it's clear. Here's a pic.