1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinling of buying a Danelectro Longhorn Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fat K, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Fat K

Fat K

Mar 7, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thinking of getting one of these funky looking thing 2nd hand, any particular things to watch in buying ones of these?

Read a bit on reviews on the net, all of them seem quite good. Comments from users or ex-users are appreciated

Cheers

2. I had one of the original re-issues (97-ish), aquaburst, wooden bridge, etc.
    Neat little bass, and the wife loved it hanging on the wall, but I had serious concerns about it holding up to the rigors of gigging.
    Eventually traded it for a fretless Godin.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have one of the DC models from the re-issue series, even though there was no long scale DC model ever made way back when. I also used to have an original Longhorn that I bought new in 1961. It was my first bass. They sound very much alike. The re-issue is a much better made bass though. The neck is very good, better than many more expensive basses out there. The old ones were quite frankly, pretty crappy. I sold mine after a year when I first started playing and got a real bass-a Fender P.

I've also played quite a few of the Korean re-issue shorthorns and longhorns. They're all better basses than the originals. They do have their quirks and hum and noise can be a problem in some environments because of the lipstick tube pickups. The interior wiring is a rat's nest and I'd hate to have to work on anything in there. I did once-the output jack came loose and one of the wires broke off so I had to fix it. A real pain getting at anything. But overall the re-issues are quite good. You can gig with them but get a good case. Toss out the factory strings. Put on Thomastic flatwounds. Big improvement in sound. I wouldn't use any high tension strings on one. Don't change out the bridge. It contributes to the unique sound. They sound best played with a hard pick in my opinion. Fingerstyle is okay but cramped because there's not much room between strings. The tuning pegs are tiny guitar like things. You might have to drill out the E string hole to fit other strings. The truss rod works well. It does what it's supposed to do. I haven't had any trouble with my DC except for the output jack and I've used it on lots of gigs. never for a whole night. Usually for a couple songs a set. They're very light-maybe 5 lbs and easy on the shoulder and neck. I used mine a lot when I had to carry a bass on the subway for a band practice. Forget slapping on it. That's not what it's good for.

It won't replace a good Fender P or any really good bass. There's something missing in the bottom, but it is a unique sound that can be useful.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I gig constantly with my '99/'00 Longhorn... It's a tone beast!! Wearing D'Addario Chromes in short scale, it nails the sound for my roots-rock group!

-robert