1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinner neck- Jazz bass or T-Bird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HOOLIGAN, Jan 11, 2008.

1. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I never realized how thin (especially at the nut) the neck of
    my '89 Gibson T-Bird was until I got some other basses
    (Ibanez ATK & RKB 900 & Ric 4003), But a friend insists
    Fender jazz necks are thinner- Anyone with both know
    the truth?

2. MoSlevin

MoSlevin

Aug 11, 2007
    I own both, and they're both pretty similar... I don't have access to them at the moment to do a comparo, but I think the J is thinner, and not by much.

3. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    I think the 'Bird might be a touch *narrower* at the nut, but it's definitely fuller, front to back. at least the Orville I had was.

4. They're both supposed to be 1.5 inches at the nut. I had a 66 J neck and now own a new Gibson T-Bird, the width feels about the same to me. I think the Fender may have been a little rounder, both are great necks though.

5. My Squire P/J's neck is 1.5'' wide & thin on the backside, luv it. Don't know about T-Bird neck.

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    the j-bass and thunderbird feel like they have almost the same width at the bridge, but the thunderbird has much less of a taper.

7. Dunno about '89's, but the Bicentennial and the two '66's (nonreverse) I've owned had necks that felt way thinner at the nut and on up than any Jazz I've owned or played...
    OK, never mind. I got out my remaining '66. It's 1.5" wide and .90" thick at the nut, 2 3/32" wide and about 1 5/64" thick at the octave. I would have guessed it was smaller in every one of those dimensions. String spread is about 2 3/16" at the bridge. I play my guitar player's American Jazz at rehearsals regularly and the Tbird feels way thinner to me.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021