Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinner strings for clearer sound !?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Johannes, Jul 28, 2000.

1. hi !
    I´m new in here, so i´d like to say hello to everybody. Now my first posting is about a problem hunting me since a very long time.
    My Ergodyne EDB 605 doesn´t sound very clear to me, it´s always kind of muddy. I went my local dealer and tried some basses, including the EDC 705 and it sounded much clearer, guess what, using some 95 or 100 strings. Could that be the solution ?

ThanX
    Johannes

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Welcome!

FYI, I'm going to move this post over to the "Strings" forum. Look for it over there.

-GM

3. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Now, to answer your question.

I've always like the sound of brand new strings, very clear, crisp, snappy. I usually change them once every 4-5 weeks to keep that sound.

I've always used the same gauge, so I can't comment on the differences.

But, yes, changing old strings will make your bass sound incredibly different.

-GM

4. Well, i tried using newer strings, but the broblem is the definition of the harmonic 1st, the basic tone ! U see, it sounds a bit like other strings oscilate, too, but they actually don`t.
    Johannes