Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinner strings=less dynamics

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dreadhead, Aug 21, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I wanted to know what do you think: is it true that thinner strings have less dynamics, i.e. less touch response?
    Thanx! :D

2. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    In a word? No. Too many variations in string engineering to catagorize thin strings vs thick in relation to dynamics/touch response, etc.

Peace

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Thanx for your reply! I really like the axe in your avatar! :D

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I wish it was that simplistic, dread. In simple theory, I think I see where you're coming from - larger strings used with a scale length that keeps them taut, resonate the instrument better.

But, typically, there are several, complex, interdependent, factors, some of which are;

- how much iron is in the string maker's recipe for the pickups to sense
    - the elliptical pattern the string travels in; how much "info" is there for the pickups to read
    - bridge quality; how much vibrational "info" is the bridge transferring
    - the woods used and how well has the luthier/maker selected and used them
    - are the strings groundwounds/flatwounds/roundwounds/nickel/SS/half-wounds/dog pound wounds/et al
    - how does the scale length, string tension, pickup sensitivity/pickup magnet composition/et al, impact the player's attack

FWIW, I get more out of thinner gauge, higher quality, strings than I do out of thicker gauge, lower quality, strings on the same bass.

I notice most of the bassists I admire most use thinner gauge strings than I and still can sound just as/more powerful and dynamic than I. But, they have the mojo that I lack.

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I already thought about these things... but if we used the same bass, with the same model of roundwound, I don't know what the result would be... however I did try 030, 040, 045 and 050... and I prefer thinner strings. :)

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Unless I'm misreading youl, it appears I just wasted my time and that this thread was pointless, since the conclusion preceded the question, right???:confused:

Let me see where that "blocking" function is. :rolleyes:

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    No, I don't think you wasted your time. I really wanted to know what did you think about this topic.

8. slapn'captain

slapn'captain

Aug 8, 2002
    I dont think so, vic uses really light strings and he plays dynamics really well, heck he plays everything well........

9. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I've gigged tonight with D'Addario XL 035... the sound was just amazing...