Thinner strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Born Villain, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
  2. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    Curt Mangan has a super light set of 30-50-70-90-125 nickel wound bass strings available. It sounds really light, but I have taken my 45-105 set and detuned to BEAD. The tone that I get is much better than when tuned to EADG. They are alot looser, but could be played with a light touch. Unfortunately they don't have a super light set in 4 string set, but there are a few other brands available in 35-95 sets. Lighter gauge sets will require a lighter touch, making it easier on the hands. DR Sunbeams or HiBeams would work also, having a round core will make them more flexible. Experiment with different sets. Get with Jason(Slapinfunk) at Bassstringsonline. He would be more help than anyone for string recommendations.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Another vote for DR Sunbeams or Hi-Beams. They are VERY comfortable, low tension strings. Although I prefer Sunbeams, in your case I'll recommend the Hi-Beams. The difference is they're stainless steel, where the Sunbeams are nickel. Stainless steel has a brighter, growlier, more aggressive tone very well-suited to rock and roll. They come in an extra-light set which is gauged .030 to .090, which is ridiculously light. For comparison, I prefer .045 to .105.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    DR Hibeams and GHS Boomers both come in super light 4-string sets in the same guages as those curt mangan strings you mentioned.

5. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There is a tradeoff. Lighter gauge strings move more to produce the same loudness note, so your action needs to be higher in order to keep the strings from clattering on the frets, so you have to push the strings farther to fret them. Lighter gauge strings are lower tension, which affects tone.

For comfort you can't beat flats or tape wounds, but the effect on tone is pretty big and you might not like it. Half rounds or compression wounds can be a good compromise.

6. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I have teensy tiny hands and I like my strings as big as possible with lots of tension(makes it easier for my left hand since I can achieve lower action), I like thick chunky necks as well. You need to experiment for YOURSELF to see what feels comfortable to YOU.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021