Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THINNEST NECK 6 STRING ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I'm looking into a six string, but I am a fast player, so i need a thin neck. I have thought about dean six strings, because (1.) i have a dean 4 string, and it is extremely fast. (2.) deans are known for fast necks.

Please add your suggestions!!!

2. I know Peter McFerrin has a Dean 5, and he would always complain about the thin neck, so I'm assuming a Dean 6 is similar. But watch out - a lot of times thin necks lack stability for the low B. (A Graphite neck is obviously not floppy.)

3. I've only played three six strings, a Dean Edge, an Ibanez SR406, and a Fernandez Gravity. Of those, the Dean had the most comfortable neck. I also had the best B of the bunch.

4. One of the thinnest 6 string necks I've played is that of the Status basses (graphite neck)

5. I second that

6. I had a Modulus Quantum 6 that had a very thin neck (and flat fretboard).

If you want a really thin neck, you might want to look into graphite.

Jeff

7. Dingwall 6 strings have very thin and flat necks. The fretboards are also relatively flat. I do not know what you are looking to spend. Between the Dingwall and Modulus you are looking at ~$3000. The Deans are much less than this. It really depends what you are looking to spend, I would say.

Geoff

8. Cirrus.

9. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    my carvin 6 string has a nice fast neck

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Cirrus 6
    Modulus Quantum 6

(what is your price range?)

11. I really like my Dean Edge Q 6, I love the neck, definately check one out!

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Thin as in Width right?? did anyone think about the Yamaha RBX6JM? THen again, i don't play 6 strings.. if your thinking thickness, the Zon will probably be the most flat.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He means thickness front to back, so the Myung 6 is definitely not a contender.

IME, neither is the Zon. I've played many, many 6's with thinner necks than the Zon 6. Not to say I liked them better, but I've played thinner.

If you're really, really wanting a thin necked 6, you might want to look into a custom bass, where you could order any thickness you want. Otherwise, the basses previously mentioned are your best bet (along with Roscoe, who makes a pretty skinny neck if you ask for it).

14. I saw Les Claypool playing a Carl Thompson 6er in the video for "Shake Hands With Beef" that had such a thin neck i thought it was a four at fist. The only reason i realized it had 6 was a quick closeup of the headstock. EXTREMELY thin neck.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would have to say that the neck on my usa curbow is the thinnest i've played...even thinner than the ibanez sr basses, but it's also the widest i've played.

16. hahaha did he just mention the words 6 string bass and thin neck in the same sentence? You really cant get too thin with your 6 string neck on my part. I believe when they were making the first 6 string bass ever they tired using a guitar neck and the first note played the neck split in half. You really cant get any thinner than they make em. When i first saw a six string in musicians friend i thought it was a joke how the neck was wide. Then when i played it it wasn't any joke. But it wasn't that bad after a while. JT, is playing that 8 string, is the neck thick? just a thought

17. DSOTM, I think you are definitely getting the words thin and narrow confused. A 6 string with a narrowed neck than a 4 string would be ridiculous IMO. I have played several 6 string basses that had thinner necks than some 4 strings I have played. Just the other day I played a Fender MIA 4 string Jazz that belonged to the swing band conductor and the neck felt like a baseball bat compared to my 5 string Dingwall (he even acknowledged that), which has the same thickness as the 6 string Dingwall that is on its way.

Geoff

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's narrow, not thin.

19. Warrior........feels like playing a 4, and that was on a 7 string

20. I played a Conklin Sidewinder 7 and that feels like a 4 string. Its bettert than groovetools