Thinnest string gauge possible ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Silverstar, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Hi !

I ask myself what is the thinnest string gauge possible. I heard of .007 for the high A on 8-string guitars. Is this the end or would it be possible to do a thinner string ?
  2. Why???? :confused:

In my opinion you get a much better sound with thicker strings. I play with light gauge strings because they're easier to play for my relatively small hands, but if I was big and strong..... I'd go for the heaviest gauge I could manage.

I think this is 'A' level physics...... (shows my age - we don't do 'A' levels in the UK anymore!) and the laws of vibrations of stretched strings!

freq = 1/(2xlength) x sq. root of (Tension/ mass per unit length)

Sorry can't find a nice way to type that in. In any case this is for the fundamental note and not any harmonics.

If you keep the length and fequency constant (which you would for a given note on the bass guitar) then the ratio of tension to mass per unit length must always be the same. So I suppose it comes down to the mechanical properties of the material of which the string is made.....

is this all gobbeldygook? Anyway, I like the sound of fat strings! :)
  3. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thin strings are the worst.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, if you go piccilo (forget how to spell it) bass, you can get REALLY thin strings. but for standerd? i dunno? maybe 35? I have no idea,,, depends on if you have a high c, or HIGHER!.
  5. No, no, I didn't mean the thinnes bass string but how thin a string can ultimatly be ?
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Was i dreaming? or was it five? 05.?
  7. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I'm also looking for thin strings for my Hofner. The neck is so narrow...and I don't play with a pick...
    any suggestions?
  8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    DaBassman, I recently put Labella Beatle bass strings on my Hofner clone. They are .050, .065, .080 and .100 and feel pretty thin to me, since I usually use medium gauge strings. They sound great.