1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinning fingernails

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by thebane90, Sep 6, 2013.

1. thebane90

thebane90

Aug 22, 2012
    I've been in a Primus kick recently and Les uses a flamenco style in a lot of songs. In playing those songs, my fingernails are being slowly thinned out. I thought the rate of growth vs. the speed of the thinning would be ok, but I was wrong.

Has anyone had experience with thinning nails? Is this a technique issue?

Thanks.

2. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I have some issues with thin fingernails also. In the past I've used them a lot in my bass playing. Not so much now, but only partially because it has become uncomfortable as they've thinned quite a bit. I believe it may have something to do with the amount of dishes I wash as a stay-at-home dad & house hubby. :meh:

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    After my nails got weak and bendy I started taking high dosage vitamin supplements B(all the B's) and D3. I had also stopped drinking milk for awhile. I also get a lot more sun than I used to. I've also read that Biotin helps with nail growth/hardness.

Combining all those things with eating beef semi-regularly and working on getting a better night's sleep brought my nails back.

I suggest you wear gloves while doing the dishes and see if that helps.

Good luck.