Third-person sort-of gig report: The Who in Grand Rapids, MI

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jimruth, May 7, 2019.

1. I know this isn’t an actual gig report, and it’s not about bass guitar, but I’m just so excited I don’t know what to do with myself.

Later tonight, my cousin, John, is playing trombone (which uses a bass clef, amiright?) with The Who during the band’s tour kickoff in Grand Rapids, MI. (I live in northern Virginia, so I am not in attendance.) The band is hiring locals for backups, so he won’t be getting on the tour bus afterward.

He sent me the photo below from the sound check (of Zak Starkey and Simon Townshend). He also texted me to tell me he’d sat in catering with Pete.

5C5FA634-8435-4C14-8A92-4B882FB4B1F5.jpeg

Although my cousin regularly tours with acts like Bob Seger and Noel Ferguson, this is the first one I actually care about!

Maybe if I practice really hard I can play bass when the band comes to the DC area later this month....

MrLenny1, Sore Thumb, TC424 and 10 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Cool! Let your cousin know we need more pics. :thumbsup:

McG likes this.
  3. cool - looks like Zak Starkey is playing Electric drums? - those aren't acoustic cymbals

4. My cousin is a brass player and not a gear head. I doubt I’ll get any equipment info out of him.

5. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Indeed, those are Roland V-Drums.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I saw "The Two" with all the gang here in So Cal a couple years ago. Great show.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Jimruth and McG like this.
  7. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    With PT's hearing issues wouldn't surprise me if they're running a quiet stage.