1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This 1s Myne took my money and pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Aug 4, 2012.

1. First I would like to state that my intention is not to slander Dan Burgess or his company This 1s Myne. I want closure and would like to warn others who are considering doing business with him. This is a very serious issue.

A year and a half ago I mailed three pedals to Dan and payed him to modify them. I was told it would take two months. After six months I asked him for an update and he responded. That was almost a year ago and since then he has ignored my emails, and he did not respond to the letter that I mailed to him. He has chosen to keep my money and my pedals with no explaination. Previous transactions have been excellent, so I do not understand why things went wrong. He seemed like a great guy.

I would warn anyone considering doing business with him. I have a perfect track record with other builders and they will attest to that. My sales and purches here have all been perfect as well. I have a few dozen pedals and have waited years for some custom builds, so this is not a cheap attempt to insult Dan Burgess or This 1s Myne. I can provide references that will prove my honesty and my patience. I am not trying to publicly scam him.

If anyone knows Dan or has any idea what went wrong or why he has chosen to ignore me, I would appreciate it. If he has your property or your money I would urge you to ask for an update. I would like for anyone here to be careful. My intention is to inform. Again, I am not lying or trying to insult anyone. I have waited a long time and given Dan Burgess and This 1s Myne plenty of time to give me any response at all and he has chosen not to do so. There is no possibility that he has not gotten my emails or my letter.

If anyone can shed some light on this issue I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much, and I appologize for having to post this. I have never had a problem like this before, and I used to trust Dan Burgess. Please be warned.

Thanks for reading this and I hope I can help anyone that has had the same problem. I am only posting this because I don't know what else to do. Thanks.

2. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    What's with South Carolina vendors??

3. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    crap. i'm sorry meng. this and the Mario thing over in the Robot Factory thread are really surprising. Dan has been slowing up on production and i have a bud that had to send something back 3 times because it was just different than discussed, but i'd never expect him to just shaft someone. i hope he's ok and there's some weird communication thing going on (still totally his fault) and you get your stuff and monies back.

hugs and stuff. bad builder/modder experiences SUCK.

4. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Thank you for coming forward to warn us. It's not easy- often in these situations people who have had good experiences will try to act like their experiences somehow negate your experience.

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    totally. the more information about bad deals and shady interactions the better. protects a lot of people in the long run.

thanks meng.

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Over on HCFX, there is also a big thread about failed dealings with T1M. It seems a lot of people have paid for pedals and never received, many many months after promises were made to have them out, etc.

7. godblender

godblender Banned

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    Yeah...I've seen pages upon pages of bad scenarios in dealings with this bloke. At one time a while ago I was considering one of his aux switches for a Pitchfactor...I decided against it after a small amount of research on his bidness.

I hope for the best possible outcome for you, tool460002.

8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Damn. That sucks! Thanks for the heads up.

9. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    It seems like the majority of issues with T1M come up when there are custom orders/mods involved. I've never seen anyone complain about ordering his "standard" items (tap switches, aux switches, buffers, solo boosts, etc). The trouble seems to arise when he is asked to modify, rehouse, etc. I've had good dealings with him, but there are enough complaints that come up from other people that I would also encourage caution when doing business.

Good luck to the OP. Sorry to hear about this.

10. thanks for all the good vibes. i had no idea this was such a common problem. i still get his newsletter updates and he still uses twitter, so i dont know what to say about the guy.

as for mario/robot factory... ouch... i got a few hundred dollars sitting with him... im hoping that he hasnt gone bad. i guess its time to investigate that. yay!

anyway- i just wanted to get my story out there and i hope no one else has to deal with this sort of thing. im already out 500+ dollars. if robot factory is doing that same thing thats another 400...

ok- im gonna go play now and hopefully distract myself; maybe crack a smile!

11. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Haunt him. Comment every time he posts. When he blocks you, get your friends to do it. Form a band of rebels and flood his facebook and twitter pages with complaints and negative comments. If you had a paypal or credit card dealing with him, file a dispute.

12. Get every contact detail of him you can find, and send him daily reminders of his shortcomings in your business dealings. This includes Twitter, because that would be acting as an avenue of publicity for him. So poison it. Write a message on there every day until you're the only one writing anything. Find his Facebook and contact him there. As mention, if Paypal or a similar system was involved, file a complaint against him. If all else fails, start sending letters to his address every week. Yea, the stamps cost money, but it'll cost you what, $1 per week? Keep track of every letter you send from now on and bill him for the postage fees when you do eventually get ahold of him, and one written correspondance is all that should be required.

If someone's business screws you, then you screw their business, not them. There's a lot of carelessness going on in the business world at the moment; half of my dealings on Ebay go south (and I only generally buy from businesses), and call on my usual barrage of emails and threats to file complaints, which fortunately I don't usually need to follow through on. In the retail world, you take something, and hand over the money during the exchange. Online trading just straight up sucks, IMO and IME. I'm tired of having to get nasty just to get what I ****ing paid for already.

Rabidrasbora likes this.
  13. :bawl:
    I feel crazy and I am up and about to start studying again (thanfully the damn final is tonight, then lots of playing with effects tomorrow).

At least this is straightened out for me.

Sorry to whom IS getting the run around from T1M.
    I am like Benhderoo, I have had lots of great experiences with small builders and one bad with Basic Audio (John Lyons). I won't let that A-Hole leave a bad taste in my mouth and ruin my good experiences.

14. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Cleaned up thread to reduce confusion. Please feel free to continue.

15. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The sense that I got from the T1M rant thread on HCFX was that if it was a stock product, things seemed much smoother. It was the custom-side of the business that suffered the bad reports. I find that to be odd, since everything T1M makes is hand-made, and in a sense, custom.

16. Well, sorry to run counter to this. I ordered two of his standard fx loop switches from Russo Music, one with a variable blend and one simple on/off. They had the variable blend one in stock, but waited over 3 months for him to build/deliver the simple one, from late December, 2011, until mid-March 2012. Russo finally gave me my money back for the simple switch and shipped the clean blend fx looper pedal.

The looper pedal is ok, but the 3pdt switch he used is very noisy. I have tried it at 4 gigs now, and at the first three it just was too noisy to use and had to remove it, running without a loop (or with my old super-reliable Barge VFB-2). Russo tried to contact him about warranty work and that was going nowhere, so they gave me store credit for the variable blender, which is totally awesome on their part. But T1M was completely MIA during this whole interaction.

17. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I had a similar issue once with a guy here in Montreal, but it was finally resolved. Lots of energy and saliva wasted for something really simple.

Just asking: would it be possible to have some kind of sticky labeled something like "Pedal makers-customizers-or-sellers to be avoided and this is why:" without it turning into unduly bashing ? I know there are threads here and there about specific companies, but gathering the info in one thread or sticky would provide insight and probably help prevent crappy experiences like the OP's. Would TB be opened to libel suits ? I don't know how having a dedicated sticky-or-thread would be different from threads like this one, the end result would be the same. Am I wrong for thinking like this ? Or maybe there's already a thread like this and missed it ? One more point for making it a sticky, I guess...

18. Having users create threads like this one isn't an issue for Talkbass, because they're not liable for things that their individual users say. However, having a moderator create a sticky like that, specifically calling out specific companies may not be such a bright idea for legal reasons. In that case, now Talkbass really would be taking a stance on the disputes, and that is where legal complications could start coming up.

19. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I hope there's a special place in hell for all these guys ripping off musicians. Talk about low.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't know if it is necessary to get that extreme with the language. Rather, there is probably a legal recourse with which to punish people that promise a delivery time and then exceed it by a year or more, while keeping your money in the process.