Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This Ain't Worth it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was checking out Bassexchange and I saw a new Fodera that basically looked like a Jazz bass with the Mike Pope preamp. The thing was $7,400+! I'm sure it's one hell of a bass, but that is ton of money for what looks like a pretty plain maple necked, white painted bass. I know the bit about supply and demand, etc. I had just had to vent a bit

Note: I tried to attach the picture, but my computer would not let me. I'm sure someone else can show it.

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    $7400 would buy a pretty decent used van or a new PA system. But what do I know, I've never played one.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Its all in the eye of the beholder.

Rob

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    well that 6 string beez on the same page is a little much at 8,500 IMO.i like foderas but as i have learned more about other builders who once again in IMO make comparable stuff at a lower price point. i wonder if fodera is becoming the ferrari of bass;exstreamly well made but priced out of the range of 90-95% of working musicians.

5. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    [​IMG]

6. 7400 for a J based bolt-on? I think this is going a little too far.

Sofa King lame.

7. I'm afraid to play one for fear I might find that they are indeed worth it. I'll stay ignorant & opinionated on this one.

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Sorry, too many knobs for me. Hard for me to find the right knob on a dark stage. I'd have to keep a penlight in my pocket or put duct tape over all the knobs I don't use. Nice color combination with the grey and black. If it had a black pickguard on it I would buy it today. :D

9. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I always thought this one was nicer:

[​IMG]

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Nice bass!! I wouldn't pay that much for it, but that's just me..

;)

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The reason I said it's not worth it is because I can understand Fodera's being ultra pricey when they are playable pieces of art with all the fancy woods, inlays, and laminations. The bass, I posted about, however, is pretty Plain Jane IMO. I can understand it being more than a Sadowsky, say $4,000-4,500 because I think Fodera has more limited production than Sadowsky, but $7,400? I honestly cannot see it. Heck Celinders cost less and they come from overseas in the Euro zone (Euro worth more than US $).

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm wondering if $7400 is the list price for it and they just didn't mention it-no fancy top or laminations make me think that its selling price would be significantly less than that.

On another topic, the Fbass they have for sale on their site right now has to be the nicest I've ever seen:
    [​IMG]

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree that's a beautiful F Bass. I had it on my computer screen for a month or so.

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I agree. I say if somebody has the money to buy one than God bless him, however, all of my gear that I own cost me around $7000 and that is a good amount of gear. If I were rich I would own one probably like Tony Greys bass!

15. That can't be $7400 worth of work and parts. I don't care if it is a Fodera, you're just paying for the name at that point.

16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    My point exactly. I could buy 3 Roscoe LG3005's w/ exotic wood tops or 2 or 3 NORDSTRANDSand still have $$$$ left over!

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I think that's a very sweet bass, but I can't see paying $7k for it.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's what you're doing with most retail products. Do you have any idea how much it costs Coke to make a bottle of soda? They're making a bigger profit ratio wise per bottle than Fodera, and a lot more bottles get sold a year than Foderas.....

19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Can't argue there. Great point. Lets see those Elricks bro!

20. Then why can I pay so much less for basically the same thing from a different builder?

Yes, you can sell stuff for more than its worth in parts in labor, but DAMN!? Thats like coke selling their product for $20 a bottle.