Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This ALMOST went in the humor section...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ...but it's a recording so here it is.

This is me and my friends after we had just saved up enough lunch money to buy our first instruments. (Yep, I didn't eat lunch for a long time!!) I am playing a Aria Stray Cat. (precision clone) through either a gorilla B30 or a Fender Sidekick 30. The guitar is an old Aria ZZ Custom Flying V. A real cool design, Black on top, white on bottom, and the pickguard was reversed if I remember right... It looked bad-ass! The guitar amp was this really cool stereo Crate. I believe it had two 8" and was 40 watts. Drums were a Bowen Brothers 5 piece starter kit. I don't remember where we got the cymbols but I remember thinking they looked like they came out of a machine shop. We called one of them, "The Plop". Vocals went through a 35 watt radiioshack PA, and my Dads stereo speakers. Recorder was a radioshack tape recorder in the middle of the room.

I forgot to mention, this was when we used to go back the guitar store every few days and get the sales guy to retune our instruments!!

Enjoy!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/bluesjam.mp3

:D

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you rock, gabe. you were better at keeping time that that drummer you were playing with - you were actually pretty darn solid on that, mostly.

took a lot of guts to put this up here. i like it :D. i think i need to go get my old tapes and get something up here. this is fun :D.

3. That was beautiful. This brings back memories of 20 minute versions of "Iron Man" in the garage, and regular visits from the local police.

4. Thanks, that makes me feel good. I mean, my band isn't very good but we sure could be a lot worse ;).

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks!! :) That would be cool! If your or anyone here would like to put your old jams up here, go for it! :p

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :D Yep, I can guarantee it! My old band is living proof that you don't need to know how to tune, how to fret, what notes are, or who is playing what instrument... just as long as you have amplification, you are A-OK!

Damn, I had fun back then!

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That's a great quote! Can I put it in my sig?

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Sure. :p

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think I destroyed all of my old band's jams.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Doh! I wish I had more of mine. It's really cool to remember them garage days... and now 13 years later. I OWN the garage we play in. Damn, I moved up!! :D

11. Ooookay... the drums and bass are good, but I think I'll have nightmares about the singer. :p

Too bad I'm in that "garage band" place now. :eek:

About your website, what's the password? I'd really like to check out those tunes. The usual suspects didn't work: "Gabu", "Tabevil", "a password", "I love JT".

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    "I love JT" didn't work?? :confused: Did you try, "I love JT Long Time" ?? :eek:

Okay, well since you guys are bass players I guess you all can peek... ;) I am hoping to get it more developed, and the music too of course!!!

Password is " warhammer ".

13. Actually I concur with most everyone else - you are a brave soul, and the bass holds the whole thing together....well, almost - there wasn't much else to hold together! BTW did the cat in your avatar do the falsetto parts? ;)

Now I'm going through MY old cassettes to find some fun to post - but none as early as yours. Back then we only had reel-to-reels, and I have none of those left!!