Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This bass junk or ok entry level?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Ok I know all of you are tired of me asking you questions but its kinda hard to find out about basses without asking questions...and in general you guys know more /respond quicker than stores....so what do you think of this bass http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.SVTSSLB11PAKSB&z=1423005665928
    I know it can't be that great but think its ok for a beginner? I can get that package for $200-240...tell me what you think.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Keep looking.

3. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    There is ONE very good use for that bass: if you douse it in kerosene & light it, you can use it to ward off an attack by Frankenstein.

4. Bwahahaha!!!

Oh sheesh. That was good. :D

IMO, the best Entry level gear, as in under $300, are Squiers, Yamaha, some Ibanez (stay away from luthite). Rogue is junk. Some people have them and never have problems, but they are cheaply made, and sold exclusively by Musicians Friend. Some people try to pawn them off as entry level Squier, which is bull. Silvertone used to made by Sears. I don't know who owns and makes them now, but their quality is pretty far from even Squiers.

I really recommend some of the entry level Yamaha, like the RBX260.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Actually, the old Sears Silvertone were made by Danelectro, and were pretty decent basses and guitars. They were sold at Sears under the Silvertone name, and everywhere else under the Danelectro name. The new Silvertones aren't related in any way.

6. Ah, I did not know they were made by Dano. Still having never played one, I can only go by what others have said about their quality.

So who makes the new Silvertones?:confused:

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If I were forced to make a guess... Samick.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

Most of the Rogue electric guitars were made by/for Squier.... many of them even said something to that effect on the headstock...

P@

9. Yep, that's be them. Silvertone by Samick.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I thought Rogues were cheap-ass Gibsons (or cheap-ass Epiphones, take your pick).

:confused:

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd give the Essex products a shot. Decent quality, and loads of upgrade potential, and for $119! You can get a natural jazz type with a maple board and block inlays for $159.

12. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    most of the rogue stuff is made by whoever will do it cheapest.... I know the rogue strings are made by gibson, some of the basses may be as well.... hard to say where they get that junk....

but some of the guitars said Squier, some of them may be from the Samick plant (which makes stuff for about 15 different names)

P@

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's probably more than that. Samick is the largest musical instrument manufacturer in the multiverse.

14. IME, the package deals are pretty bad. I don't know why, it just turnes out that way. With entry level gear, always try before you buy. If you absolutley have to buy sight unseen and unplayed because of your location, make sure you read all the fine print about their return policy. Hopefully there won't be a problem, but with the big warehouse companies like MF, you can never be sure.

I also agree with the vote for Essex, I just bought the jazz bass, and can't wait for it to get here. And if Woodchuck says they are good, I'd listen to the man.

'Chuck, what options did you get on your Essex? Or should i say what options did your wife get on your Essex? :D

I wish my wife would buy me a new bass right outta the blue. :p

15. wow, those essexes are NICE looking. what's the catch, how come they're so cheap?

16. that silvertone package is what I started out with, and the whole thing is a pile of junk. The amp stinks, and the bass was always warped, I think it had a twist to it, and the screws that hold the neck on were always loose. That thing will make you want to learn the piano.