This Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wannaflea, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
  2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    A forceful attack, new strings, and compression

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Low action and digging in/aggressive plucks would most likely get you there.

4. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
  5. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Try plucking towards the body, almost through the strings rather than across them, and up by the neck rather than over the pickups. Pretty much just a different way to smack the strings into the frets.

6. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    Cheers man, helpful as always!
    I have DiMarzio DP 123's in my Jazz, which are really dark and punchy, which probably isn't helping me get that bright sounds haha

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I don't know the Dimarzios too well to be honest, but if you're getting a slap sound you like, you should be able to get this 'un too.

8. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    Yeah I can't really get that haha, DiMarzio's give me a beautiful dark punch, but less highs than I would like. I need more basses!

9. If you watch the video, he's actually switching between fingerstyle and slapping for the really aggressive hits. To get the same grindy slaplike sound when doing fingerstyle, Darkstrike has the answer: Low action and pluck hard. Of course, you need roundwound strings too.

Simple as that, no need to buy a dang thing. :D

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021