This bugs me! (Rant)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. You go see a band (at a bar, wherever) and in between songs someone will start noodling. But as if this isn't amateurish enough, they'll play a riff from the next tune, so you know what's coming. It takes away the element of surprise and excitement.

DON'T DO THAT!!! :banghead:

PauFerro, 2cooltoolz, dpaul and 38 others like this.
  2. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I always just roll my volume down between songs. It bugs me to have even like the noise from moving my hands around or moving around the stage go out to the crowd.

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If you can guess the next song, it's giving you the advantage of knowing when to go to the bathroom.

2cooltoolz, dpaul, Sixgunn and 20 others like this.
  4. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe they were giving the song some last minute practice before they performed it to make sure they didn't mess it up. I sometimes do that, but I turn down the volume first.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Unprofessional. Period.

6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    This. Applies even more for guitar players.

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Know what's worse? The idiots that tune their instrument at full volume during a show. Yes, they're the same idiots that argue the convenience and cost of a clip on tuner (fanny pack) trumps that of a pedal tuner :rollno:.

8. Agree with Bass Viking and petrus61. Members of the band I play in do both of these on occasion. Drives me nuts!

9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Evidently I'm in a small minority, but I've gotta say that a little between-song noodling has never bothered me, unless said noodling is interfering with someone's ability to tune or have an important conversation or something else important. Admittedly, though, I am probably biased by the fact that I went to a lot of Grateful Dead concerts over the 17 years before Jerry checked out, and they were of course notorious noodlers. In the context of a GD show, most folks seemed to find that the noodling actually added a layer of excitement and intrigue, as it became kind of a game to be the first to guess from the noodling what they would play next. I've never really understood why so many folks find it to be such an egregious offense.

FWIW, I've got nothing against cargo shorts either. :D

10. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Lemmy wore cargo shorts.

11. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    why is there even enough room in between songs to be ' noodling ' .. !!?? stop it ..!

12. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Why is it called noodling? I kind of like noodles and it gives them a bad rap.

tekhedd, pcake, Wisebass and 14 others like this.
  13. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I prefer clip-on tuners to pedal tuners, but that doesn't mean I tune at full volume.

14. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Remember their concert live direct broacast from Germany in 1978 or something. With Patti Smith and Johnny Winter. They, GD, ended, went on for ages, and between each tune they went completely silent and went over to their tuners on top of their amps, regardless of the guitars, basses needed tuning or not. Guess what? It was those OLD kind of Korg tuners where you have to dial in each string, and THEN tune up. You rotated to E and then tuned up, and then rotate the large dial to A and then tune up...at least 3-4 minutes totally silent breaks between each tune. No noodling at all, you could hear audience started to boo, and whistle after a while. And it was NOT due to commercial breaks, because they didn't have any. Bored me silly even at 18 years of age. Before a third of the concert I yawned so much becase I found them utterly boring (I DID have heard them before, and this, the GD, was what I was waiting for). Went to bed instead, because it had turned to a giant snorefest anyway...

Now do I want noodling or silence while tuning in between songs? Pest or Cholera? Answer: NEITHER.

Mr_Moo and Pbassmanca like this.
  15. I agree with the in between noodling as being unprofessional and I would argue that cargo pants are not appropriate...wait for it....ANYWHERE. But then again, boat shoes, jean shorts, and t-shirts tucked in are red flags in my book. (ok that was harsh but its funny cuz its true)

Lvjoebass likes this.
  16. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Well, some of us knows the difference between rehearsal space, and a real stage with live audience. I've heard of no one ever in the audience liked:

1. To hear anyone tune up loudly on stage. I can't stand listening to myself tuning up on stage loudly, even prior to gig, empty hall, neither anyone else in the band.
    2. To hear anyone noddle away, on stage in front of an audience, between tunes.

You know that?

In all other instances, such behaviour is called Tourettes Syndrome. So it should be here. Not different at all. It's an ailment that has to be dealt with.

"...These tics characteristically wax and wane, can be suppressed temporarily, and are typically preceded by an unwanted urge or sensation in the affected muscles..."

Tourette syndrome - Wikipedia

csc2048b likes this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    This. If there's enough time to noodle, there's too much time.

Wisebass, csc2048b, five7 and 2 others like this.
  18. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    I kind of agree, but since the other name is too hard to pronounce, "Tourettes Syndrome", that has too many syllables, and french to even remember the first half of it...noodles seems to ...are noodles a french dish? ;)

Runnerman likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

2016-08-08 20.03.00.gif

pwhalen, looper, RedHatter and 5 others like this.
  20. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do they realize they can use the completely free volume knob on their instrument to turn down and the clip-on tuner will STILL tune their instrument?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021