1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This can't be a 1960 Fender Jazz bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Axtman, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Okay Fender bass experts, go ahead and tell me what is wrong with this bass.

1960 Fender Jazz Bass Stack Knob w/Original Case

I'll start. First off it looks too new. Secondly it is does not have lollipop tuners.

Okay now it's your turn.

7dollarbologna likes this.
  2. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Obvious control plate mod. Bridge sadles don't look right either.

3. avri62

avri62

Jan 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    It should have the "Contoured Body" logo offset toward the top of the ball which I don't see. The dots look to be clay which would be right, also, ground strap on bridge to pup is correct. The Kluson tuners look correct as far as the gearing is concerned. I would think the tort pick-guard would be shrunken more for it's age and the body seems to have to much luster to it. The control plate is definitely modified. The bass is probably Franken. I would be curious to see the serial on the neck plate.

4. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    I thought ..60 wasn't even called a JAZZ BASS yet..?? It was a Deluxe..? No..?

5. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    and weren't LOLIPOPS in 67 ish..?

6. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    'Lollipop' tuners did not exsist yet. 'late 65 to 66+ for the lollipops which was a Forrest White idea to make tuners in-house at the Fender plant.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Dark Horse and Evil Undead like this.
  7. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    yep lollipops from '65 onwards. That finish is way too glossy

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If it is legit, it's a horrible example of one. Brass nut, huge neck pocket gap/misaligned neck and saddles that look as if they were adjusted by a 15yr old with their first bass all cry out NO THANKS

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Sunbursts back then were alder - not sure this is alder. ...looks more like ash. If it's a refinished colored body then ash would be right. The headstock logo looks all wrong. Neck plate appears to have 6 digits - 1960 would have 5. String tree is wrong. Pickguard looks new, and while a nice one, lacks the "blurriness" and the shrinkage of ones that old; the rosewood in pic #1 looks unlike anything Fender would use back then (or now); back of the neck wear looks phony to me. ...just a few casual observations - not saying I know anything for sure except that I wouldn't touch it at that price.

RiZzBot, Alan Ace Cooper and mindwell like this.
  10. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Been studying that CL ad a bit more and it is odd that the body is in such great shape but the headstock is so worn. Also it is kind of hard to tell but I don't see the threads on the saddles which a 1960 Jazz would have. Could be the picture's resolution though.

The pickguard does have the correct hue but from the photos does look strange like it might be a repro.

Brass nut, toggle switch mod and possibly replaced bridge?.....15K is too high. I would check this one out in person and have it taken apart to check authenticity of the pickups, pots and neck butt.

11. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Im not a connesuer, but if I were asking 15 large for a bass id already have pics of the neck pocket and pots posted.
    Makes me feel like either
    a. They dont know what they have, or
    2. They dont know what they have

12. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I can't tell if this body has that "bump" between the lower horn and the neck either. Also, I can't tell if the back of the headstock has a dent, or a hole from the screw in the headstock strap holder. But there's no indication of there ever being one there.

I don't think its a fender neck, and if it's a fender body, I don't think its era correct. The bridge is wrong, the contrast between neck and body wear is laughable, and to me, for the era, having seen a few dead mint 60s J basses, even the color hue looks off. If it's an actual 60 Fender J, the mods and refin alone makes the price tooooo high.

13. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    looks suspect!

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Pretty sure that's a poly finish

15. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    1. They don't know what they have, or
    2. They know exactly what they have.

16. GranSportMan

GranSportMan

Dec 14, 2010
    It obviously modded but that doesn't mean it's a bad bass. Perhaps you can go try it first. If it's amazing and you have the cash, it might be worth it. But again, it appears modded so maybe not worth $15k. It will depend on how awesome it is or not.

17. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    It's a pawn shop. Whoever sold it to them is a very good salesperson (and a bad person)

18. No strap button on the back of the headstock – that would disqualify it as anything pre-67. There is a speck of some sort in the approximate location, but it lacks any sense of depth a screw hole would have... more likely a blemish in the wood.

Also, I can't help but notice the neck seems disproportionately worn to the body... There isn't a blemish in sight on the PG or any of the usual arm/wrist/thumb wear spots. What catches my eye furthermore is that wear you do see on the headstock looks like the flaking/peeling effect you get on poly finishes, rather than the rubbing and checking you encounter with nitro.

Oh, on the topic of the headstock – it doesn't have the cursive "Contour Body" lettering to the right of the Fender logo the way the early generation Jazzes did.

I call BS. Even if it is a 1960, it's a modded and refin'd 1960... which shouldn't garner a 5-figure price tag.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Alan Ace Cooper and Michael4bass like this.
  19. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I am not interested in the bass just curious. I don't even think that it is a Japanese reissue. If I were a betting man, my money would be on a parts bass.

I think that the pawn shop got burned......pity.

Aqualung60 and blindrabbit like this.
  20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That pickguard looks horrible.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.