Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This can't be real

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MODNY, Jul 22, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i dont know much about fodera's, but this can't be one

here

hahaha

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yes, I believe it is! I can't vouch for this particular specimens authenticity, but Fodera made a Jazz "knockoff" ala Sadowsky for a few years, I believe our very own Brad Cook "Dig me" has one!

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Where's the butterfly?!

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Wrong answer!

Yes, that really is a Fodera made bolt-on J-style bass.

We sold several at Bass Central when I worked there, very nice basses.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My question still stands.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Did a bit of a search...and it looks like it is.

Maybe their entry level?

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    They didn't put the butterfly on them.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I believe that is the correct headstock, because I remember them being called the "Empire". It was probably the "bottom" of the Fodera Line at the time, Gard would no for sure but my guess is they were 2-3000 new.

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    that thing is a piece

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like he neck construction!

11. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    Yes, the bass was made BY HAND by Fodera. It is one of their NYC series, EMPIRE basses. Fodera was targeting a lower-priced segment of the market with these basses. They intentionally didn't put the butterfly logo on them, because they did not want to dilute their brand. The problem was that even though the basses were bolt-ons, they were still handmade, so they took almost as much time to make as a standard bass; they really took a bath on them and have since stopped making them. It is a pity, because they are very nice basses.

Ben

12. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Thats one hot fodera.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    You make that judgement from a photo on the internet?

:rollno:

...trust me (and I think I have some insight here), that bass is an excellent instrument, head and shoulders above the "average" bolt-on J-style bass.

You shouldn't comment on what you have no knowledge of.

14. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Clever. . . I think I'm gonna go with Gard's opinion on this one.

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Actually, no.

The NYC basses are really well built J-styled instruments. They've since stopped making them but they tend to be great values when you find them used. I've seen a few 5 strings NYC's sell in the $1200 range. At that price it's a steal considering you are getting a handmade bass.

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea i guess its a decent looking instrument.

but i'm not sure,,,it still looks like a real good e bay con. althought, i believe everything you guys are saying.

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i really dont see how " bolt on " can be considered lower quality though. i mean, sure a neck through is great. but i dont see any advantages to them really. i mean, sure you get great sustain, but how often do you just play tied whole notes?? where you really need those long drones? even when pedalling a bass line, you hardly ever have not e values that long.

it really is constructed very nicely, fodera has always made a great instrument :hyper:

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Gotta agree with you on this one. . . I will say that the reason they're priced differently (I think) is based on the amount of labor required. Making a neck-through bass is, from what I understand, a much more labor-intensive and time-consuming process, hence the higher cost.

That said, I've owned neck-through, set-neck, and bolt-on style basses and have found that I prefer bolt-ons. I think something about the greater punch and more "open" tone (to my ear) appeals to me more, although the neck-through's I've had have played tremendously well and had killer tone. Of course this all falls underneath the veil of the ever important "In My Humble Opinion" clause of the Talkbass Constitution. . .

19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Too funny...I've been looking at this bass since yesterday, and then see this thread. It's real...they're shown on the Fodera site and they're good basses (the one I played was a bit neck heavy, but that was my only gripe). There's a $1200 fretless 4 at DiPinto guitars, and I was just wishing it were 5 strings. I don't think I want to spend $2K though...I have seen 5 string NYC Empire basses for much more, and this is one of the good ones (3 piece neck). If someone doesn't snap it up soon...I'm getting weak.

Marshall

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    My favourite German guitar/bass magazine reviewed one of those (Fodera NYC Emperor) a while ago, I thought it looked absolutely stunning (although it had a more Fender-styled headstock with huge butterfly tuning machines), and that bass looks just as nice. So, yeah, I also think it's fake, either.