1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This changes my entire world view.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMacBass65, Mar 20, 2017.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'm sure all the old farts here still use two spaces after a period. I am only 30 and I still use them. In fact, I'm doing it right now. People ten years younger than me think I am insane for using them. Mind you, TB auto corrects for spaces.

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That's a lot of words to justify being too lazy to add a second space.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If I could have all the time back I've spent on TB going back and ensuring that I only had a single space after a period, I would have all that time back .

INTP, bholder and 47th Street like this.
  4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    MS Word used to insert a second space automatically after a period, and that drove me nuts. It was a huge, unnecessary double space; nothing like the double space on a typewriter.

5. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Strange days indeed ! .

47th Street likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The guy writing the article is a d-bag. It's simple. We were taught by people who grew up on typewriters. The rule changed and there wasn't a press release to all English teachers. Older people will do it out of habit.

So here's the thing.

1) I don't think either way is "wrong".

2) Who the heck CARES????

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    PillO, Mvilmany, Bob_Ross and 8 others like this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That seems a little excessive, no? I mean, it was a fairly well thought out article which raises some valid points. I don't recall any name calling in the article. I also thought the closer was a great point:

We would never accept teachers pushing other outmoded ideas on kids because that's what was popular back when they were in school. The same should go for typing.

47th Street likes this.
  8. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have never put 2 spaces after a period, have never heard of people putting 2 spaces after a period, and I have no idea in holy hell how this is even a topic of conversation.

JimK, Yango, HaphAsSard and 4 others like this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I don't care if I wind up being the last living two-spacer on the planet, I have no plans to change on that one.

JimK, PillO, Bob_Ross and 3 others like this.
  10. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    First, I can't believe I read that entire article.
    I asked my girlfriend what she thought about it, and how she was taught. She was taught to use two spaces. I was taught to use single space. We both think we're right. The article says I'm right, so...

shadowtippy likes this.
  11. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Im old. I used to. I don't anymore and you can too!

But, yeah, who cares.

47th Street likes this.
  12. I simply cannot imagine typing without the two spaces, so much so that I am only writing one sentence in all communications from now on.

Mvilmany, JRA and 47th Street like this.
  13. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    He could have argued about how much space it takes up, or how much paper gets wasted after 10,000 sentences in a book.

But he's just being a whiney turd.

PillO, 10cc and Rocker949 like this.
  14. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I like using periods for elipses ... most likely improperly :p

JimK, Munjibunga, Mktrat and 2 others like this.
  15. 47th Street

47th Street Akk cent chew ate The Positive Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Me three!

JimK and catcauphonic like this.
  16. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    There's three elipses in the post reply box where it says "Write your reply..."

So I do...

JimK likes this.
  17. I can let go of the double space after the period, I can't let go of the Oxford comma.

ICM, Mvilmany, James Hart and 4 others like this.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

Man, what is with all the insults today?

Kids these days, I tell ya.

;) :D

19. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    In all honesty, I didn't read the entire article. Seems like he's just trolling.

TolerancEJ and Mvilmany like this.