1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

THIS Conklin again???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Apr 20, 2006.

1. I have seen this Conklin for sale, good god, at least 3 or 4 times over the past few years. What's the deal? Anyone know?

That's a ridiculous price too!!! :rollno:

2. Four out of five Doctors agree, it's haunted.

3. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I dunno.. but that fretboard is over the top.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    How so? I like it.

-Mark

5. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I meant it in a good way. I'd own a bass with a maple fretboard if I ever saw one like that.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Just another bull**** artist - Lane Poor is making pickups again? I wish he were!

Dan K.

7. Conklins look anorexic with only 5 strings.

8. And with a tight string spacing at that :meh:

9. its a conklin....thats why its for sale:D

10. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What's so odd?

It's a custom US made bass located overseas. If regular production basses (Fender and Musicman, fer example) demand a premium overseas, doesn't it stand to reason that a US Custom bass (in a less common string config) would also demand a premium for a used bass?

Obviously, if it's being listed for the fifth time, he's asking too much. But, it's not unreasonable to think it might be priced higher than if it was used in the US.

I might not like Conklin's styling, but I certainly admire his dedication and workmanship. So, anyone knocking their build quality is talking out of their ass.

12. i cant say much..never having laid hands on one..but they sure are ugly

13. I'm certainly not knocking the quality. I have 1 custom Conklin, and recently sold a fretless custom Conklin I had. I also have a Conklin Groove Tools. He hasn't been the only seller. When I said it was listed a bunch of times, I meant listed by different sellers each time. I find that odd. I remember the last time it sold, it went (on e-Bay) for something like $1,400. This guy is asking over double that! I don't care where he's from, that's insane. I wouldn't pay that, shipping included, if he were from Neptune!... For a '95 no less. You can score a base custom directly from Bill for not way too much more.