This copper for shielding???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OmegaZ27, Feb 25, 2006.

1. OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    Alright. I'm going to be shielding my bass soon. My dad found some copper sheets that he hasn't used in a while. They are in good new condition, except, it's not shiny and it's more on the matte side. NOTE: My dad said that these copper sheets were made to be used on PCB's (Printed circuit boards), which I would assume means a good thing. The backing of the sheets have a paper like "adhesive" that is supposed to be pressured onto the PCB's, so would I still be able to stick this on my bass's control and pickup cavities? And do you guys think this would be alright for shielding?

SHINY COPPER (standard copper foil shielding)

MATTE COPPER (not exact picture of what I have, but close to the matte look.)
  2. as long as it takes well to solder for ground wiring then there shouldn't be any problem. I've seen foil used as a shoddy rig job so if that worked then you should be ok.
  3. I shielded one of my basses recently, and i found it easier to use copper tape that has a conductive adhesive, just makes it easier, but any copper should do :)
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I shielded 2 of mine a little while ago, using tin tape for duct work - it worked out great...

That foil looks like it'll work, though...

- georgestrings